Mods, please delete

This is dummy text so I can edit this post and make it empty.

I’m not going to respond to every single point, but just want to mention that my image is something I made myself. I’m not affiliated with clockwork pi.
That kinda burned. It was entitled posts like this that made me go off of the forums for the past two months.
I’m going to have to think twice before offering to help at this rate.

For the record, I did actually specify that the Retroarch update (that I provided out of my love for the community) is meant to sit there hanging for about 30 minutes. Compiling just takes that long. It’s a part of being a computer. Last night I updated my Retroarch to 1.8.8 on two gameshells. It works. You just need to wait.

What are you talking about re: the boot partition being in a different format? It is identical.

I compiled Retroarch with all of the features available so that people CAN try things. Had I nerfed it, people would complain more. Want mouse functionality? Then install the mouse mod to the arduino. Want to type? Plug in a keyboard.

Complaining about Netplay not working? That’s a PEBKAC issue. It does work. I use it between my two Gameshells. You don’t need a keyboard. Just install the mouse mod. I can’t do it for you, as I need go flash your arduino keyboard unit. I can see now why so many people who were active and helping the community in the early days have stopped helping people.

Physical link cable? Have you heard of Ethernet over USB? The gameshell sure has. Unless you were wanting to have some kind of built in hardware proprietary Nintendo plug? Why on earth would they put that there? It is massive. It won’t be used for anything else. If anything’s you’d be better off putting it to the community to make a USB converter built into the case, if it is that precious to you.

An out of the box web browser. On a 320x240 screen. You already complained about a lack of keyboard and mouse. Oh I suppose it should have a multi touch capacitative touch screen, a 5G SIM card slot and oh wait. You’re wanting a mobile phone. That you probably already own.

I’m not going to continue more. This post upset me and I am not happy with how personal you made this attack. Had it been more of an objective constructive form of criticism, it would have been different.

I’m going to have to really reconsider how much time I spend contributing into this community, and perhaps consider keeping things to myself, if it means having to appease people like yourself. You may have singlehandedly repelled me from the community.

I was just about to respond to a few issues that you were having, and in fact spent a lot of time last night addressing just that. I think you can assume to know what the outcome of your post was.

A tip. Don’t continue this rant list. Seriously. You’re just going to turn more people who are just trying to help down. Burning bridges gets you nowhere. This is a community of people who just want to help, and you are not helping!

9 Likes

@2000brix Please tame your tone, if you wanted to be constructive, that’s a big failure. Ranting with measure is welcome here as long as it is constructive. Your post is not.

@javelinface please don’t be bothered by this type of,post and please ignore them. Your work here is valuable, maybe not perfect, we all can do better in one way or another, and I nowhere to be close to be able to claim being perfect myself, or do thing perfectly. So please ignore these people, they are not worth your time.

8 Likes

not to sound like a butt, but the clockwork-pi isn’t really meant for web browsing. its really just meant for running roms. the hardware in my opinion isn’t really that powerful to run internet, just WiFi related things. if it had web browsing your gameshell would heat up quickly and drain the battery faster cause of how hard it would have to run and attempt to load data and sites.

2 Likes

Oof, there is a lot to tackle here in this big block of nonsense, so let’s go over this one point at a time.

1 : No physical link cable
Maybe it’s because that kind of technology is outdated? Because it is cumbersome to carry around a cable in your pocket? Unless you are someone who always carries a bag of any kind with them, there would be no comfortable way to transport a cable like that. Not to mention, again, this kind of technology is outdated. Name one current console, official or homebrew, who uses this. Not to mention, sad as is, but the GS is not all that comon (at least not where i am, i might very well be the only owner of a GS where i live).
As for the other point : No. Nobody is encouraging anybody to do anything like that, offering an emulator that plays ROMs is not illegal, and downloading ROMs or not is entirely in the consumers responsibility. Not to mention : Super Smash Bros freezes on mupen64+, how to adjust controller map for Pokémon Stadium via SSH?
And
Mupen64 crashes, PLEASE HELP
Pot, meet kettle.

2 : No OOB web browser
Yeah, because typing in words into a searchbar, using a D-Pad is SO comfortable, that we desperately need it on GS. We don’t need a browser on every device, especially not one, that would be inconvenient for that to begin with. As @javelinface has mentioned before, if you wanna browse the web, how about you use a device that was designed with that in mind! Like your phone or PC! Simple as that.

3 : Corruption
I’m gonna assume, when talking about corruption, you mean the OS. Well guess what. This is a custom OS, and it’s pretty much still in it’s infancy. Of course there are gonna be problems like that. It’s why the creator and us in the community try and work together! To make it something functional, that we can all be proud for taking part in it’s development. Just look at all the different topics concerning software issues and how people communicate with one another. Do i really have to explain Consumer Feedback and Forums to you?

4 : Broken Charging Port
That one is entirely on you. This is why you treat technology delicately. And if you can’t do that, you should propably not own the device to begin with. Sure, everyone makes mistakes, but this is not something on the Devs part, this is you not treating your device properly. Not to mention, this is not something they can do much about. And frankly this sounds like some spoiled brat crying about wanting the sandbox all to themselves, but that’s just me. Though others might share this opinion.

5 : javelinface.
Okay, first of all I have to get this out of my system. @javelinface is, at least in my humble opinion, one of the highest valued members of this community, who has helped out many people before on here, including me, and we can all be thankful for them. This is why i see this point in particular as an insult to them, and i don’t want to go too deep into this point, as i may just end up throwing insults, and I can’t really comment on their custom OS, but I will say something here anyways : If you try to work with somebodys custom programm, you have to understand that you do so at your own risk. Unless the programm is some malicious software to begin with, the creator is not at fault for anything it might do to your system. If you want to use it, you should once again, as the consumer, give constructive feedback to the programs developer, so they can improve it. Trying to tear them a new one like this is not gonna help anybody, and will just turn them away from improving anything. And not to mention, this “point” has no right to be in a post that says “What CLOCKWORK needs to fix”, as @javelinface does not work for clockwork, I think that would be some fresh news for everybody. That being said, this entire point of yours is worthless and just a punch in the face of the javelin and reading it was physically painful. Especially considering how they went out of their way to try and help you to the best of their ability and you go out of your way to attack them like this? Shame on you.

6 : Retroarch’s full functions
… Are you serious? You want to stream from the GS? A device which’s main point is to be a portable emulator? Well you do you I guess, but honestly, why not use a device, that is more powerful and has better capability for this kind of activity? Like a PC?

6.1 : Netplay
Reread my point about programing in its infancy. This might get more focus as development continues, but who knows. smh.

Oof. In conclusion, this post felt like some angry spoiled pre-teen, shouting at McDonalds that the toy they want for their HappyMeal has been sold out and “Point” 5 is the equivalent of proceeding to shout at the first guy you see sitting at a table enjoying their food and slamming their table into their face.
I sincerely hope that you go out of your way to apologize to @javelinface, as helpful people like him are way underappreciated and people like you are the reason they will be put off from helping the community and after this stunt you pulled they deserve one.
As for my final words, this trainwreck was absolutely painful to read through and frankly you didn’t deserve any sort of response. I honestly hope this post of yours get’s deleted. If you want to contribute to the community, get your act together for f-cks sake. If not, then what the hell are you doing here? GTFO, nobody will miss a whiny little brat such as yourself. It is one thing to be frustrated, but it’s another thing as being a massive a-hole and the less people like this in the community, the better.
Good day, sir.

5 Likes

dude, the official OS hasn’t even reached 1.0, chill out about software bugs. you can’t blame @javelinface for the problems with his DEOT image, he did what a team would do all by himself, don’t expect it to be 100% better. And if the USB port broke on you, it’s probably from the brute force you made it endure, the same problem would be in an Arduino with a micro-USB port, boards aren’t as strong as a hard plastic or steel. yeah, there are some problems with the gameshell, but not the ones you listed, such as not having a heat sync or proper vent holes, which can easily be solved.

1 Like

I will say it again:

DONT’T FEED THE TROLLS.

So please leave that thread to die, the harm has already been done. There is no need to add more oil to the fire stating some obvious thing,

1 Like

I saw your post from the beginning, and wanted to reply in the same time, but I just gave up. I though about it a bit more and maybe I can say something.

1. The link cable is something that YOU want. The Gameshell has more modern technologies, and even a GPIO, i2c, SPI interfaces that you could make a link cable yourself. Go into the emulators source code and you can try to build it yourself.

2. Gameshell is not powerful enough for modern internet. The small screen is the first obstacle, but you can of course use HDMI, with a keyboard and mouse. You can install almost any browser with apt. It will work, but don’t expect be able to watch YouTube videos at full speed. When you say 5G I think you mean 802.11ac. The 802.11n still fast enough for gameshell and even for your phone/computer. The 5G makes more sense if you want to game stream, 4k videos…

3. The rest is related to software. When you ask clockworkpi as a company to work on it I agree that they should provide something better for the price you paid.

4. When you decide to say bad things about a user in this forum, you lost the case. He doesn’t work for clockwork and he probably never got anything from the “company”. Everything @javelinface did was help people (even helped you) and share his work because he though it was nice, and it really is. You are not forced to use if you don’t like. Try to make something you like share with people for free and maybe be the target of people like you. You are going to learn a lot.

After this time waiting to reply I though in two possibilities: You are a kid with +/- 15 years old. The way you confuse technologies and how you express yourself just doesn’t make sense, no offenses. It seems that you are just trying to have fun and have no intention to say bad things, but it just happened. The second you would be someone +25 because you talk about link cable, retro games and you are not trying to play fortnite on the gameshell. In the last case you probably is a person who needs care, and I feel sorry for it.

In both cases you maybe know now that what you did was not nice, and you probably want to say sorry. So say it.

I’m sorry @Godzil, I was planning to write this from the moment I saw the post.

2 Likes

We can discuss some of his points, it’s not the problem.
The question is more about, is it constructive and trying to bring the conversation forward, or just trying to say “shut up” to a troll?

If it is the latest, it is not welcome. If it is to try to get a sane conversation about one of the point, It’s ok.
Just think twice before posting and there is really no need to answer on all point, and especially not going too personal.

So please all, there no need anymore now to answer point by point the first point, you can comment on some of the thing, trying to be constructive., else think twice before posting here.

2 Likes

What the f**k has this post come to.

You guys need to understand that this is my first time in years talking on forums, idk how to make good posts.

I am flagging this post down for deletion, too.

@javelinface sorry for the roast on the deot os.
oh, and by the partitions, I meant the partitions on the STANDARD OS. The partitions on your os are the same format.

Yes, I have heard of Ethernet over USB, and the GameShell should have an OTG USB port.

“First time in years talking on forums”
That doesn’t make it any better. General respect still applies, you know. Like, everywhere.
And I can only speak for myself, but that apology is a joke. Maybe you sent a proper apology to @javelinface in private but I can’t confirm this, if i were in their place though, i would feel even more insulted, but what do I know.
What I DO know though is this :
You obviously couldn’t handle the backlash you were bound to recieve with this thread, so now you tried to backpaddle, with a pathetic attempt of an apology and a plead to erase this trainwreck of a thread.But you are still salty about people not sharing your, to put it lightly, sh-tty opinion and attitude, so now you drop a passiv-aggressive remark aimed at the community, that tried to help you with your problems and stepped in defense of a valued member of the community.
But your forgetting 3 things in this :
1 : The Internet doesn’t forget. Maybe not everyone will remember you, but some are bound to. And you can be sure I will be one of them.
2 : Without this community, you wouldn’t have been able to solve anything with your Gameshell.
And finally
3 : Nobody is forcing you to stay as part of our community. Deleting your account is always an option and I’m sure that at least 2 people who commented in this thread would be glad if you did.

That being said this will be my final input on this thread before it gets inevitably deleted.
All I have left to say is that this community and its actually helpfull members are better off without people like you.
Please do not reproduce and goodbye forever.

1 Like

Thanks for your apology above. I hope that the community will forgive you as well.

It was almost acceptable, until your second post immediately afterwards.

I’m not sure what you mean re: the partitions being different on the standard os? Compared to an alternative one perhaps? My image uses the same format as the standard one. Either way I don’t think this point has been thought out.

Good news. It does.

I encourage any other forum members to consider muting any users who have any grievances with another to mute the offending person.

That said, I would say to still give @2000brix a chance, and not to ignore their plights at help. We don’t know their circumstances, and background. This method of communication may just be the norm for them; albeit how it goes against the norm.

We are a community. We need to support one another, and build it up. Deleting posts doesn’t help do this, it only hides and buries problems under a veil of deceit. We should use this thread as an opportunity to grow, and know how to do better in future.

@2000brix, please don’t burn all your bridges and cut off ties. There are plenty of people here who are extremely helpful who will allow you to understand how to use your gameshell. This is the best resource for anything related to the gameshell, and hopefully you understand and have learned the level of etiquette required here.

1 Like

Thats how linux works, unrelated to clockwork pi. Raspberry Pi has the same partitions. Refer to this for more information linux - Is a /boot partition always necessary? - Super User

1 Like