Mupen64 - N64 Emulator running

You should try some different settings in the mupen config file to determine the settings to run the rom flawless. :slight_smile:

Edit: Btw welcome!

Thank you, Iā€™ll start messing with it now!

can you please share me the compilation parameters of the *.so ?
thanks~

All steps done / executed scripts are written down in this thread already. :slight_smile:

I got itļ¼Œthanksļ½ž
I donā€™t know why your *.so work perfectly, and my complied *.so very laggy.

You can have a look at these .deb files I created from my installation:

I am trying to run Mupen64 since it came installed on 0.4 but for some reason the roms are not loading i just get the loading screen then a black one and it goes back to the menu.

1 Like

Thanks for the thread OPā€¦
I got this working using the instructions you had in the OPā€¦ (using Clockwork image 0.3)

for people that only had audio like @doodom and @lasvegas ā€“ I think that if the screen is black (in sleep mode) when you run the command via ssh, then it wonā€™t ā€˜wake upā€™. Maybe thatā€™s the cause?

Banjo doesnā€™t seem to run very well though, even with the cfg you providedā€¦ Is it possible thereā€™s some other configuration that we should be looking at?

1 Like

Hello there,

I agree with the Sleep-Theory.

Everything I tried to get it running is written down right here.

That makes sense. Iā€™m just thinking that there could be something different about your configuration prior to running those things.

Like have you maybe stopped any background processes or removed/replaced any system resources with some alternative?

EDIT: I also wanted to remind people to try using the ā€œPerformanceā€ power setting for the best results.

Nope, nothing i can think of.

My OS (0.3) is just right out of the box without mayor customization besides the steps I described.

Would it be possible to create the core of mupen64Plus to use it with retroarch?

figured I would share this here.
if you have 0.4 and mupen is NOT working (which it doesnt out of the box)
what you have to do is use putty and edit /home/cpi/apps/Menu/20_Retro Games/80_mupen64+/action.config

and add ā€“plugindir /usr/local/lib/mupen64plus/

see below for ā€œinstructionā€

cd /home/cpi/apps/Menu/20_Retro Games/80_mupen64+/
nano action.config

**ALTER** the line ROM_SO=/home/cpi/apps/emulators/mupen64plus --gfx mupen64plus-video-rice --fullscreen
**TO READ** ROM_SO=/home/cpi/apps/emulators/mupen64plus --plugindir /usr/local/lib/mupen64plus/ --gfx mupen64plus-video-rice --fullscreen

I personally also modified the EXT= line to read EXT=n64,zip,z64 from EXT=z64 because I have some non compressed roms.

2 Likes

Thanks for that! I can confirm that this does indeed work; albeit running extremely slowly using the either the FBTurbo or Lima driver.

I would suggest changing power profile to performance it does improve it with the hardware driver

1 Like

Thank you for the steps, how would I do this on Filezilla? Or itā€™s not possible?

EDIT: alright tried the steps but all I get is a black screen with just the sound of the game

@javelinface
@duckyvirus

Which version of clockwork OS are you using? I am on 0.4.
Did you do the Debian 10 buster update? I personally did.
Are you using FBTurbo or Lima? I tried both, and they work.
Are you using performance mode? I personally always do when running intensive processes.

Besides the last answer, I canā€™t speak for @duckyvirus, as I donā€™t know their setup, but for me, this is all I have done, besides follow the steps in this thread.

I could be wrong here, but the dependencies mentioned by @duckyvirus are quite possibly the same ones installed in the steps outlined above. From memory, the stock N64 mupen emulator includes is the standard link to a *.so file that downloads upon initial execution.

With that said, there would be little to no difference between the included emulator and the one mentioned in this thread.

If youā€™ve followed the instructions in this thread, can you confirm if thereā€™s both audio and video for the installed emulator?

Just for comparison sake, this is my action.config file:

ROM=/home/cpi/games/mupen64 ROM_SO=/home/cpi/apps/emulators/mupen64plus --plugindir /usr/local/lib/mupen64plus/ --gfx mupen64plus-video-rice --fullscreen EXT=z64,v64,n64 LAUNCHER= TITLE=mupen64 Roms SO_URL=https://raw.githubusercontent.com/cuu/emulators/master/mupen64plus.zip

Iā€™m running os v4 with Lima driver

Honestly I donā€™t what the Debian 10 buster is lol

I can confirm that the audio for the game plays, but the screen stays dark, but Iā€™m able to control the game

@javelinface

my change to the action.config (which would require downloading, editing and reuploading if using filezilla) is merely to let the downloaded version see where the .SO has been put.

I am waiting for dist-upgrade to complete and will re-confim that it indeed works once on buster.

1 Like

Sounds good, I just donā€™t know why my screen is blank while the sound of the game plays