New review by ETA Prime!

Has anyone seen ETA do a review on the new game shell? It was posted about 5 mins an hour ago? He’s one of the few YouTube personalities I really respect. Maybe since he has got his new gameshell, that means we are REALLY close to getting ours too!!!

3 Likes

Why not share the link friend?

2 Likes

https://youtu.be/ify_nGwc2-g Here’s the link!

3 Likes

I saw it and thought about the same thing… Or YouTubers got the first Bach for PR… Meanwhile we who pay for ours have to wait :sweat_smile::see_no_evil:

ETA Prime is a good reviewer. What can we do to help with the software development?

Not really sure how this message board works so not sure who to @, but would be available for testing, and can code some -but a novice on emulator code.

Had asked earlier about getting the Gameshell up and running in a virtual machine, did not get clear direction. Would write a faq or wiki entry on how to do this, to help if other more knowledgeable members want to walk through what is known.

Love this project. What can we do to help it succeed?

Update: @yong

I’m still rather new at this message board as well. But I think u @yong

Thanks for the notice for the review @Chamillion205

I just finished watching it, and I think it’s a fair review. I’m super excited to get my game shell to make some games for it more than playing roms (Although I’m sure I’ll do that too). For dev, getting a full GB of ram is nice, but I agree some more attention to the software would be nice. My guess would be that the retro arch version he used maybe still wasn’t even using the GPU, since I know in another thread it was mentioning an issue with it:

Also, I’m doing my best to give them the benefit of the doubt. The OS is listed as 0.21, If they still don’t have all this worked out by 1.0, then I’d be more concerned :slight_smile:

The review did make me wonder about the gba and genesis emulation. But I’m not going to let that get to me. I’m still overly excited to get the gameshell. And I have a few other handheld emulators that I use as well.

Yeah true… For me personally, as long as it plays Neo Geo, Mame, Snes and Nes games I couldn’t be happier.

Chamillion205, you already have a crazy collection of handhelds! You can use the Gameshell as a bookend!
:sweat_smile::wink:

Im still sad about the GBA emulation

I’ve always liked handhelds more than home consoles.

OMG. I bought one on November just to play GBA and Mega Drive games!

Should I cancel my order? this is so disappointing. I thought the Gameshell performed like a Raspberry Pi 3.

1 Like

Why cancelling it?

You don’t need the GPU to emulate a GBA or a Megadrive, they work reasonably well in the current state.
The ClockworkPi is a brand new product, the community (here) is still young, give it some time to mature a bit more (it took years for the RaspberryPi to be in the current state and the GPU driver was not that great at the beginning for 3D)

This is a community project mainly, that’s up to us to make it shine. The Clockwork Pi/Gameshell is not one of this “ready made emulator machine” you can find, it is a full fledge system that just wait for us to shine. (and emulation is not its main use, it is just one of the multiples thing it can do!)

3 Likes

I understand what you say Godzil. I’m a Linux user for more than 15 years and use and compile RetroArch since almost the beginning. The main (and probably only) use of the GameShell for me it’s RA though.

Is there any fork of RetroArch and it’s cores specifically made for the GameShell anywhere? or it’s using the upstream ARM version for now? is a targeted version of RA planned?

For the official build @guu is the one to ask.

You can also look at the RetroArch Megathread as it have all the information for the community build version

Hmm. Someone says that compiling one core on the GameShell itself gave a performance boost. It would be pretty useful to have the GameShell added as a platform on the buildbot in that case, like the “classics” did not long ago: https://classicmodscloud.com/classic_libretro/nightly/

GBA works fine don’t cancel your order just get the right file. I posted it all over the place today with a video.

@Micro007 Please provide some links please?

Sure thing

1 Like

I seriously think about create a blog with some “n00b friendly” tutorials about the GS.

5 Likes