PostmarketOS - uConsole CM4

I’m not an expert but I know enough to be dangerous. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Is your sound working? Mine doesn’t have any sound, I’m using plasm-desktop, and the sound works fine on other systems

I’m currently using SwayWM and the sound is working.

If plasm-desktop relies on Pulse Audio then you might need to install the pulseaudio and pamixer packages? I’m not certain about this but it’s the first thing I would try.

I tried installing the two drivers you mentioned, and then restarted and there seemed to be no sound. Hope you bring good news when you try it

I’d recommend posting about the issue here Issues · postmarketOS / pmaports · GitLab

1 Like

All right, thanks. I will submit an issue for tracking.

I installed pmbootstrap through pacman on my arch desktop. I then just did pmbootstrap --init, answered the questions for uconsole, and then ran pmbootstrap install --sdcard /dev/sda. Worked fine. Seems like the uconsole pull request is in the arch release.

I like it so far. I’m new to postmarketOS, but it seems straightforward. Everything worked out of the box except we still don’t have functioning sleep.

2 Likes

We’ll never have functioning sleep.

Yeah, there’s an official test build now. It was a hassle to figure out how to set everything up when I had download the files from a commit.

If anyone can figure out how to get Waydroid working, let me know! I have not figured out how to patch the kernel… and I think the directions expect a device you need to flash a kernel to? Waydroid - postmarketOS

I’d hate to say you may have to start over. But it seems pmbootstrap does have the option to add kernel modules at buildtime.

https://wiki.postmarketos.org/wiki/Kernel_configuration

This appears to be important to enable Anbox/Waydroid.

I’ve tried that. I’ll probably try it again. But I am not sure I actually understand how to get kconfig to save a kernel config file that Pmbootstrap will then use.

And AFAIK, Waydroid doesn’t require quite as much setup as Anbox did.

Hey, do me a favor and check that your battery module is using both batteries.
My battery module only uses one, replacement already promised, but as there is no physical damage and the packaging was pristine, I’m wondering if the battery modules may have a QA problem.
In my case, I can run the batteries to “0%” and lose power, but then swapping their positions puts me magically back at 100%.

Interesting. I’ll give it a try.

I successfully powered my device on twice with only one battery in each slot, so I think I can rule that out for my uConsole.

So I’ve swapped out my old batteries, now using a pair of Samsung 35Es, and my battery life might now be in the 6-8 hour range? I’ll need to do more testing, but I don’t feel anxious about leaving it on anymore.

I’m not sure if I had a dud pair of LG MJ1s or if their characteristics just weren’t a good fit for powering the uConsole. They’re supposed to have a long battery life but maybe the voltage discharge curve is too steep?

I got the PostmarketOS system running on my uconsole but the wifi won’t connect, I can see the ssid from my router but whenever I try to access it it will spin fort a minute saying “connecting” then disconnect. I think it’s using the default wpa_supplicant as I can find any other network tools in the cli. is that what you chose during the setup or did you use the other networking option? everything else seems to work.

Ah right! I forgot about that. Network Manager’s command line interface did the trick for me.

sudo nmcli --ask dev wifi connect NETWORKNAME

1 Like

Thanks for that. it’s working now. it failed using the cli but I went back and blew away all network settings and let it rebuild after that and it worked.

Yeah, for whatever reason I found that it failed for me if I didn’t have --ask.