Real running example of the devterm

Oof, that’s a bit of a low blow calling people socially inept! I don’t think it is very nice. :frowning:
Welcome to the forums. :slight_smile:
I think the title of this thread may need to be changed. Either that, or the thread locked.
On one hand it’s great to have an open means of showing how new community members feel; but on the other, I’m not really sure how constructive any additional input will be. Most of what needs to be said has been said. Anything more is just throwing kindling onto the fire.

1 Like

Sorry I don’t mean to come off as mean, I’ve been lurking the forums and have gathered that the team at clockwork is small and doesn’t really have a marketing/ social media team, or do a lot of outreach. perhaps socially inept is too harsh. Either way i still don’t think we as buyers and backers of the project aren’t within our rights to demand some sort of update. Even if it’s a delay, just tell us there’s a delay.

The clockwork pi website hasn’t even been updated in months.

I see you’ve checked Hal’s Twitter.
He recently responded to someone, saying to email him.
Perhaps try that. The forums are primarily community driven. Hal only occasionally pops in. He might not even see half these posts.

That said, every email sent will be taking up time that could be better spent finalising and shipping the product.

There isn’t a delay yet, so potentially there is nothing to report.

This reminded me of FE3H.

Possibly pertaining to this,

That’s just a blanket clause of course. They will let us know what we need to know, when they have something to say; not because it is within our rights to demand it of them, but because they want to.

I mentioned it above, but another device called the PiBoy DMG had insane wait times, no real time frames, and took 6 months between me paying and receiving my goods. People made reddit groups comparing their invoice numbers with their shipping notifications. That’s all the communication I got with this product. I didn’t get any updates, photos or WIP shots.

On the other hand, another device I have been keeping an eye on called the play date have been doing updates, but recently have just been doing less relevant non alert based posts. They even started a separate alert only Twitter, which to this day is empty.
I mean, would you like it if the devs posted stuff like this?? (It’s been in development for I think 2 years or so

(Mods feel free to remove this if it‘a not okay to post other products)

It’s cute, but also takes up time. I could make you a devterm template if you really wanted. (Please don’t actually take me up on this offer; I am very tired)

2 Likes

It’s fine, you are not promoting the playdate, you use it as an example, and it’s not in the same domain as both the GS and DT so, I’m personally fine with that.

1 Like

judging from the size of the 18650s slotted in… closer to the size of a palmtop, it would seem. much smaller than i previously thought, practically pocket sized, i bet.

1 Like

Yeah, it’s definitely pretty small. I wish they’d been able to get their hands on a physical model earlier so they could show it at a human scale, but given the pandemic I’m not surprised.

Tada! Human sized!

And cutting mat ruler sized!

I’m actually really tempted to make a paper craft printable model, including cutout slot in modules.
But by the time I finish it, the real thing would be out.
I mean. Would this actually be something people would be interested in?

1 Like

so what is this software running on the screen in this image anyway?
is it real software or an overlaid image?

that looks like dwm with tic-80, xclock, and chromium running

2 Likes

People are into all kinds of things. If you design a paprt craft, someone might convert it into a folding metal design. Because humans like to busy themselves with things they personally find entertaining.

2 Likes

chromium, the web browser?

yep, actually it might be ran in the twm window manager but i cant tell.

1 Like

I think you may be right on the tab window manager. However one could customize awesome to look just like twm. shrugs

From memory, twm was only used as a stop gap fix when the gameshell’s graphic drivers were in its infancy, and dwm didn’t perform well in handheld mode. dwm was always used in hdmi mode, and was the intended window manager from day 1.

Once the Lima drivers were consolidated, I personally changed my custom deot gameshell image to use dwm instead of twm in handheld mode, and I think possibly the official release may have been updated. I could be wrong.

Since the devterm is a quasi “desktop” OS like a gameshell in hdmi mode, I would assume that it’s using dwm. Plus most of them would have a heap more grunt.

2 Likes

To make it more clear for everyone:

No politic on this forum.

So edit these part or delete the related posts, and no sanction will occur.

This is the last warning for all.

4 Likes

Would love to see a video of the device working… I mean they must have enough parts to put together 1 working device to demo. It really, really worries me that there are no videos of a completed system working and running applications. Specially when every other device that is similar to this is, is demoed in this type of way.

Just searched on Baidu and Weibo, the Chinese version of Google and Twitter, the result is a bit discouraging.

There really isn’t any working demo in photo or video.

I found 2, 3 articles covering DevTerm, but most of the info is exactly the same as what was stated in clockwork’s official website.

2 Likes

that’s discouraging? sounds like all the data you found matches… i dont see inconsistencies, so i have no questions or problems?
Id be worried if you found a crap vid of something that looked a lot like a devterm and sucked like trash

2 Likes

I said this in another thread - but considering all the production is done out-of-house, the clockwork team has to wait on the plastics, the PCBs, the components, etc before they can assemble a working version. Even if a prototype was assembled with a 3d printer, you still have an intricate keyboard to contend with. I can imagine even if they have a functioning prototype, it’s probably not pretty. But even if they could assemble a polished prototype, that takes a lot of time (maybe better spent elsewhere). Once the plastics arrive and the keyboard is finished, I expect then we’ll actually have something to look at. But at that point we’d be close to shipping.

I trust that the clockwork team is eager to share a working version, and that they will when they have it. I can’t fathom any reason they would hold back on this. It’s kinda that simple: just waiting on mfg orders to complete the project.

4 Likes

Personally I don’t mind if the prototype is ugly as a bunch of circuit boards wiring together.

CPi’s products all have this vintage look comparing to Analogue Pocket’s sleek design, not mention devices made by Apple, Google or even Amazon. DevTerm was modeled after TRS-80 back in 1983, right? How not pretty can it be :rofl:

I’m quite sure a ton of fans are more interested in the making of the machine.

Here I found this great article about the development of BBC’s micro:bit which shows several pictures of the iterated prototypes before shipment.

1 Like