clockworkpi

Screen Issues (Was: Display Damaged from Factory - Bad Luck or Common Flaw?)

I’ve been spending more time with my DevTerm, and as I was using an application with a plain white background I spotted some damage to the screen:

(Not the best photo, I’m afraid - it was taken on my phone!)

It’s visible as what appears to be one or two dead pixels, with a “bruise” to the right. It’s small, and only really that visible on a light-coloured background - but it’s there.

It also appears to be a factory defect: I’ve been very careful handling it, and nothing’s touched the screen - and the anti-glare layer on top is entirely undamaged, showing no sign of anything having hit it after assembly.

Is this a common problem, or am I just unlucky?

1 Like

i’ve read people in the discord with a similar issue with their screens.

the team should offer a link to a replacement part, thought i’ve found what i believe to be the source display online

1280x480 6.8 inch IPS MIPI display is my usual search term, but if anyone wants a link hmu on discord.

1 Like

Would you please email to alex@clockworkpi.com? I think we can do something about it.

1 Like

I’ve spotted another issue with the screen, and like before this one’s subtle - but once you notice it, it’s impossible not to notice it: the top few rows of pixels are missing.

Yes, missing.

Easiest way to see it: right-click on the clock, choose Properties, and switch to “LCD”. Note that the entire top segment of the simulated 7-segment LED displays are… not there. At least, they’re not there on my screen.

By positioning the cursor at the exact top of my visible screen and taking a screenshot, I’ve been able to measure the missing pixels: I’m missing the top four rows, as far as I can see.

In other words, this:

looks, to me, like this:

It’s only at the top of the screen: if I flip the display from right-rotation to left-rotation, so it’s upside down, I can see the whole clock without any difficulty.

And I know what you’re thinking: “Oh, the screen’s just misaligned - the top of the display is slightly under the case.” Sadly, no: I’ve taken the top lid off, and the display is exactly the same: missing the top four rows.

@AlexDuan: Have you seen this reported by anyone else?

same here. I notice it when display video fullscreen.

It’s not just me then - good to know, but also disappointing!

I wonder if it’s a software/firmware thing rather than hardware - just something shifting things up, rather than a failure of the displays themselves. I hope so, because it’d be easier to fix if that were the case!

I seem to have a similar issue, although it’s only 2 or three pixels…it’s not the entire top segment of the LCD clock missing for me. And also, when I take a screenshot I do see the entire screen, just on the actual screen it is a little cut off.