Screen sleeps/blanks, KB and trackball won’t wake

I used to think the issue I had was an overheat or a power fluctuation that was putting my CM4 uConsole to sleep but I finally decided to try another way to wake it up, by plugging in an external mouse and keyboard, and I discovered the system immediately woke up and was responsive.

I’ve seen, at least in bug history, a sleep issue for screens on Pi where they won’t wake again, but it seems like it was a bug that was fixed. Perhaps there’s some driver issue with the uConsole keyboard/trackball?

Has anyone else run into this? It’s usually just when I leave the uConsole running for a bit. Sometimes it wakes fine, then at some point I press everything and the screen stays off. When I plug in the external devices and the screen immediately turns on again, the system inputs remain inactive until I restart.

Any help or advice is appreciated!

Ive had this issue too and its mostly when im using pi image, i think its a bug to do with cpu usage, i know what you mean though i think it is a uconsole problem, luckily for me i can just wait for pi imager to be done and turn it off and on. I also found that plugging a hdmi wakes up the screen too if a mouse/keyboard isnt handy and you need to check on something being downloaded or whatever.

I finally decided to try another way to wake it up, by plugging in an external mouse and keyboard, and I discovered the system immediately woke up and was responsive.

Check powertop. One of the screens in it has a list of USB devices and whether their power management status puts them to sleep or not. If the internal keyboard/trackball go to sleep (or maybe are put to sleep by the OS/DE combination you are using, so if you are using a DE, check if it does any power management in its settings), but an external keyboard doesn’t, then that might be that the reason your device has trouble waking up.

1 Like