Sega CD Bios Location

I’ve had a very difficult time getting bios files to work for Genesis Plus GX or PIcoDrive to play Sega CD Games. I have tried placing the drivers in a folder named bios in the games directory. I have tried placing them in the System folder under the RetroArch Directory. I know the naming convention is different for either emulator. But what is the proper location for these Bios files? Thanks for any help anyone can give.

1 Like

Hi Kshelton71,
BIOS goes in /home/cpi/.config/retroarch/bios/ for RetroArch cores on GameSH>, don’t worry about console specific folders or anything.

Thanks for the info. Still having some issues with getting my Sega CD games to run however in either Sega Genesis emulator. Looks like it’s back to research. Thanks again.

Yeah, I’ve run into some problems myself, Snatcher seems to run fine on genesis plus gx, but Sonic CD hangs. I don’t have a lot of Sega CD games to test out, but may end up trying some different cores and seeing what works.

Sorry for the necropost, but i’m having issues with using the picodrive 1.92 standalone. I’ve put the SegaCD bios files in a number of locations, but still won’t be able to load the roms. Any ideas on specific locations?

maybe ~/.picodrive/ ?

Unfortunately not, i even made a BIoS folder in there, too. No luck

https://github.com/notaz/picodrive/blob/master/platform/base_readme.txt#L44

To play any CD game, you need BIOS files. These files must be copied to the same directory as PicoDrive files.
Files can be named as follows:

US: us_scd1_9210.bin us_scd2_9306.bin SegaCDBIOS9303.bin
EU: eu_mcd1_9210.bin eu_mcd2_9303.bin eu_mcd2_9306.bin
JP: jp_mcd1_9112.bin jp_mcd1_9111.bin
these files can also be zipped.
2 Likes