Swapping out Battery for Larger Capacity Li-Ion?

IMG_20190328_183525

So I have this voltmeter. Is the dial set correctly and which holes do I plug the red and black rods in? I had red in the V Omega mA and black in com. When I touch the metal where the plus and minus are on the clockworkpi’s battery but I didn’t get a reading

Yes. It’s set correctly. The red probe should be plugged into the port marked with a ‘V’ for Volts. The black, into the ‘COM’ (common) port.

It works, had to resolder twice since it wasn’t charging. Thank you for your help.

Hello. Hope you are well.
Thanks for this topic.
I made the mod described above using a 2500 mAh 3.7v battery for adafruit.
I soldered the original GS battery cable to the battery.
Using a multimeter, the battery reads 3.9v
When I plug it in, GS won’t start unless connected in USB.
Do you have any idea why the battery is not powering the unit?
Thanks.
Charles

Some pictures may help us. One of the biggest things is that the polarity must be correct, even if it is reading 3.9v from the multimiter, if the polarity is not going into the GS properly, it can lead to bad things. Not turning on, frying components, etc.

Also, it would help to know if the original battery turns it on or not (although it is good that it is still turning on with usb).

Does it turn on if you hold the power button a few seconds?

1 Like

Thanks.
I thought it was wired correctly as it was the same way as any of my other projects.
But in the end, polarity was reversed…
All working now.
Thanks again for your help.

1 Like

I bought the wires : https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0738CV1LP/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And reverse sold one of them with a battery I originaly bought for a raspberry pi 3 : https://www.amazon.fr/SODIAL-dextension-Alimentation-Interrupteur-Raspberry/dp/B07D1HBKHT/ref=mp_s_a_1_13?adgrpid=57834943122&hvadid=275376768454&hvdev=m&hvlocphy=9055692&hvnetw=g&hvpos=1t1&hvqmt=e&hvrand=1523402441326542163&hvtargid=kwd-313159711568&keywords=batterie+raspberry+pi+3&qid=1555543536&s=gateway&sr=8-13

I had to force a little for fitting all in the shell because battery is a little thick but it’s a really good deal !
The battery life is great and I’m very happy !

Anyone tried 3d printing a fatter back case?

I’ll just leave this right here: https://ameridroid.com/products/3000mah-battery

For those in the UK, or who don’t mind waiting a little while for shipping, here’s the same battery from odroid’s UK store (ships from the UK), for an unbeatable price. I think they’re phasing out the product this was designed for: https://www.hardkernel.com/shop/3000mah-battery/

(The jst connector still needs to be swapped out)

1 Like

Tested? Fits in shell?

Will know tomorrow when my jst connectors arrive. Looks like shell still needs to be cleaned up, but battery fits, I’ll post pictures later today.

I’ll have a look at the STL files, but that was my thought exactly. Just eyeballing it looks like 2 or possibly even 4 18650s could fit in back, with a slightly modified back cover.

Anyone know if the charging circuit would be capable of charging 2-4 18650s in parallel? Might be worth investing, before designing a custom back cover.

If it is possible, I’d be happy to design it, and collaborate with others to make it happen.

Success!

Swapped the battery for the 3000mah one, listed above. Soldering one of the female jst cables to the battery (also above), and applied some heat shrink. No wire swapping necessary black - black, red - red.

Still need to dremel out the battery compartment, but looking at the size, the battery will fit. I just wanted to make sure it worked, before I start dremel-ing. (dremelling? heh)

The proof’s in the pudding.

33%20PM

Cheers!

Edit: Took about 5h 55min to charge this sucker fully (from empty).

Edit2: 45mins of Castlevania ~ 7% battery

3 Likes

[Uploading: IMG_20190615_122031.jpg…]

I had an old original 3ds battery lying around. It’s a 2000mah battery. I had to sand the inside of the battery case in order for it to fit and it’s a little snug but it works.

That’s pretty cool. did you have to mod the connection at all?

Nope, the battery fits right into the connector base that comes with the game shell.

That’s excellent. This might be the most elegant solution yet.

My battery died after less then 6 months of light use thank god for paper weights erm I mean retrostone

Using a 3DS battery got me thinking of one of my old induction charging kits for my DS back in the day. I’ll have to dig around go find it. Not sure if anywhere still even sells them.
That and wireless charging modification kits.

Not sure about everyone else, but I have a hell of a hard time trying to plug a USB micro plug into the console in the dark to charge it before going to bed. That’s the obvious application.

An additional boon: using the the Lego case, attach a USB battery pack that supports wireless that snaps onto the console to charge it.

2 Likes

I’ve considered this, let me know if you make some progress. I’d love to help out.