Swapping out Battery for Larger Capacity Li-Ion?

For the battery, from memory I think it was a lower capacity 850mAh battery or something. Probably wouldn’t be worth going the stock DS induction mode, unless you modify a higher amperage battery with the internals. From experience, pulling apart lithium batteries isn’t the safest thing, so just a safety warning in case anyone tries this.

I’ll probably try and get my hands on the micro USB kit. Since I don’t use USB Ethernet, I could probably just have it literally sitting inside the gameshell’s shell. Alternatively, I could have it soldered onto the board, but it might be more trouble than it’s worth.

@xstrex If you know of any portable USB power bricks with QI wireless charging that is super slimline, let me know! That’s the kind of thing that would be perfect for modding Lego bricks onto, to attach to the Gameshell. Any larger, and it would just be unwieldy.

Just swapped in the 3000mah battery from ameriDroid. Using a female JST 1.5 connector, I just shoved the female pins into the male JST 1.0 connector that was on the battery and connected the female connector to the white battery cable. Used two folded up index cards as a spacer and voila! Over double the battery life! Thanks @xstrex!

2 Likes

You sir, are a genius. This is perfect with the shoulder pads and the lego backing included.

It doesn’t look original, and the capacity is false.
The original 3DSXL battery (SPR-003) also has only 1750mah

I guess you didn’t test cell-to-cell uniformity.
It doesn’t look like a bomb. It’s a bomb.

My original idea was to use some of the original Li-ion batteries, such as those for 3DS, 3DSXL and other devices.

However, I was later found that it was difficult to install without polishing the original shell.

So after I measured the size of the original battery box (remember that it is 70 x 50 x 10mm), I decided to order a suitable battery from internet. In the end, I ordered a 3.8V 4200mah 16Wh battery with size of 66 x 45 x 8.8mm with customized ZH/JST 1.5mm 2Pin connector (male). Then I used the original battery box (transparent piece) as a limiter installed this battery。

With the 3D printed shell, the finished product is a bit ugly, so I decorated it with stickers. :slight_smile:

After the installation was complete, I tested the battery with the SSH command line and everything worked fine. The charging speed is not too slow.

Sorry, English is not my mother tongue, so please forgive my English.

我看到你也在使用 884566 电池,它应该来自淘宝。
I saw that you are also using the 884566 battery, it should come from Taobao。
https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a1z09.2.0.0.2f0d2e8dU6KORN&id=550656252087

充电截止电压为 4.35V
但是系统设置为 4.20V
这可能导致电池无法完全充满
Charge cut-off voltage is 4.35V
But the system is set to 4.20V
This may cause the battery to not be fully charged

但是我无法修改,这可能是linux内核或者驱动的问题。
我查阅axp223的文档是支持3.25V的,我在寻求解决办法。
But I can’t modify it, this may be a problem with the Linux kernel or driver.
I consulted the axp223 documentation to support 3.25V, I am looking for a solution.

可以充到99%,这其实够了,因为GS只有图形化的电量指示(没有数显),我并不纠结这点。
It can be charged to 99%, which is enough, because GS only has a graphical power indicator (no digital display), I am not entangled in this.

QQ%E5%9B%BE%E7%89%8720190830165041

=================================

好吧,按照@Petrakis盆友的说法,这里我们损失了14%的电量,但是这又怎么样呢?0.86*15.96wh=13.73wh,电量仍然是原装电池(4.4wh)的3.12倍。

PS,我刚才以中等亮度最大音量快乐地玩了一会儿机战F完结篇,大概25分钟吧,用了0.15V的电压,更换电池的本质是为了更长时间的快乐,单从理论值来看我也获得了三倍于原装电池的快乐啊。这又有什么值得纠结的呢??
PSS,论坛提示我作为新人我今天已经不能回帖了,所以我编辑了一下。
这些话还得翻译成英文吗,这些东西超过了我的英文水平啊,所以我就用谷歌翻译将就一下吧

Well, according to @Petrakis friend, we lost 14% of the electricity here, but what about this? 0.86*15.96wh=13.73 wh, the power is still 3.12 times that of the original battery (4.4wh).

PS, I just played [SUPER ROBOT WARS F FINISH] with a medium brightness and maximum volume for a while, about 25 minutes, cost 0.15V of voltage, the essence of replacing the battery is for a longer time of happiness, from the theoretical value alone I also got three times the happiness of the original battery. So what is this worth tangling??
PSS, the forum reminds me that as a new user, I can’t reply today, so I edited it.
Do these words have to be translated into English? These things are beyond my English level, so I will use Google Translate.

剩余电量是通过电压计算的。
对于现在的设置,4.2V相当于100%剩余电量。
到达4.2V将停止充电,但是实际电池并未充满。

The remaining charge is calculated by voltage.
For the current setup, 4.2V is equivalent to 100% of the remaining charge.
Reaching 4.2V will stop charging, but the actual battery is not fully charged.
But the actual battery is not full

会丢失约15%到20%的容量
Will lose about 15% to 20% capacity

As you can see at 4.20V charge we lose about 13-14% of the capacity and 14-15% of the energy, but undercharging is a good way to increase the cycle life by hundreds of cycles.

这是我设计的884566的电池仓
This is my design of 884566 battery bunker.

2 Likes

Wow that looks pretty cool, have you already printed it? Could you maybe post a step by step guide on the process (which parts are needed, how are they assembled)?
I would love to have a longer battery life with my GS.

哇,看起来很酷,你已经打印过吗?您是否可以发布有关流程的分步指南(需要哪些部件,如何组装)?
我希望我的GS拥有更长的电池续航时间。

This is what I printed.

这是我打印的

IMG_8257

Batteries are purchased from Taobao, which may be inconvenient outside China.
电池购买自Taobao,这可能对与中国以外的地区不太方便。
https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a1z09.2.0.0.2f0d2e8dU6KORN&id=550656252087

购买备注接头类型: “ZH1.25 正向”
Buy Remarks Connector Type: “ZH1.25 正向”

买到的电池可以直接使用。
The purchased battery can be used directly.

组装没有什么需要额外注意的
There is nothing to pay attention to for assembly.

1 Like

Man, you are true life saver. But the connector is 1.5, do not get it wrong.
兄弟,哈哈哈哈感谢了。一切在路上了。但是接头是1.5的,别搞错了。

It’s 1.25, not 1.5.
是1.25 没有1.5

2 Likes

I got one with 1.5 which can plug in, but I got a white screen without logo. I don’t know why.

I also design a new battery container model for 3D print, Wish you guys like it.

You can download it on thingiverse
It is also suitable for 884566 Li-ion battery which I bought from taobao :smirk:

3 Likes

What size (both physical and capacity) is that battery? Do you have a direct link? I might buy one

EDIT: is it this one https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a1z09.2.0.0.2f0d2e8dU6KORN&id=550656252087?

Yes it is.
The physical size is 45mm x 66mm x 8.8mm just like the model number 884566 shown.
But the actual size is 45x68x9.

I modded this battery into the GS and so far it’s working OK.

• 3000 mAh, 3.7V

• Size: 5x6x0.7cm

It’s slightly thinner than the battery module, and also slightly shorter, so I used some lego as spacer to keep it from moving