Integrating the lightbar into the back panel

I would like to remove the light bar but keep the additional buttons. I ordered two GameShells and I am looking at taking a flat back (no LEGO studs) and modifying the battery module to give room for the light bar buttons to be flush mounted into the back of the case. Has anyone tried this already?

4 Likes

I would just like a back without ALL the LEGO. Just that LEGO needed for the light key is al I need.

4 Likes

I was thinking about that, but my Fusion360 ability is null. But someone skillfull can easily mod the 3D files and print it with a 3D printer

I have an idea on where to integrate the lightbar on the backshell. Here’s a picture of the lightbar sitting in the bottom of the back shell:
20190221_193200
The blue boxes are showing ridges that keep the soundbar in place, flush to the front of the gameshell. The lightbar is the same shape as the soundbar and if I sand off these ridges the lightbar will fit under the soundbar facing the back of the gameshell.
I am going take the smooth back shell and sand out the studs for the soundbar, then put the lightbar in facing down to mark where I need to cut out squares for the lightbar buttons. Once I get them cut to size, I think if I take the top off the lightbar shell and put a shim of the right size between the lightbar and soundbar I can move the buttons to the back with minimal modifications. What do you think?

1 Like

I saw photos of someone here in the forum having done exactly that

Finally got the lightbar installed in the main shell. Works perfect and I fit a 2500mAh battery in as well. Here’s some pics;
imageimageimage

10 Likes

Amazing I need this in my life!

did you 3d print a different back? i’m wondering if its possible to make the case longer and integrate the light keys in the back above the battery…

1 Like

How many hours of gameplay do you get with the new battery? I’m considering doing this type of mod myself.

i got about 6 hours with medium brightness on 2500 mah

1 Like

I’d love to have a modded back like this for my GS, but lack both the tools and the experience. If someone would be willing to write a short tutorial on how to achieve this, that would be fantastic. Having a file for 3D printing such a case would also be an alternative.

Oh yeah this is just EPIC all I need is a dremel and I’m good to go I love it!

1 Like

If only I had a dremel and a clue how to use it. :smiley:

Instead of modifying my original case (and possibly breaking it) I had the idea to order a 3D printed one over the internet, so I downloaded the 3D files from CPI and edited them with Blender. I’m no huge Blender pro, so the results are not perfect, but I was able to change it so that the lightkey module should (barely) fit under the audio module.

For anyone with some experience with Blender or STL files OR 3D printing, if you could take a look at the file and tell me if it’s good enough to get the job done, that would be fantastic.

Here’s the link (Dropbox): LightKeyIntegration.stl

If anyone wants to go ahead and do a test-print, go ahead, but please post pictures. :smiley:

Okay, I went ahead and ordered a 3D printed back shell and it actually works. I was a bit nervous that the printed case wouldn’t fit on the official front, but thankfully it does!
Here are some pics. The material feels a bit fuzzy, but apart from that I’m really happy with it. :smiley:

1 Like

What material is that? looks amazing

1 Like

The material is called “PA12”. I’m not super happy with the texture of the material, but maybe I just have to get used to it. It definitely feels different than the super smooth original back shell. ^^

Oh Nylon 12 I like it, it gives it a retro look. Is it solvable in something? ABS can get smooth with acetone

1 Like

Curious about the cost and where you had it done, if you don’t mind sharing a link. That material looks interesting!

It was done by a German company called Rapidobject (https://www.rapidobject.com) and it cost around 40€ (plus packaging). A little expensive for me but it was the cheapest I could find.

2 Likes