RPi OS Bookworm CM4 ........i think i have cracked getting new custom OS recipe

Link: GitHub - Snoozer-94/uConsole-CM4-OS: OS's configured for ClockworkPi uConsole CM4

Tldr, link is above for the RPi OS bookworm and is in Releases, corrections for first boot is in the readme.md, down bellow is my very long journey to get to this point. Thanks.

So yh i think i might have it, with a lower than baseline knowledge on linux and also only doing this all on a uconsole. So with using both of the links supplied from clockworkpi themselves, i have made sure to reference both on every step so i can see what to do or install. I have found out how to create a uconsole compatible version of bookworm RPiOS (and hopefully more) from an original .img (+.img.xz) install. Sooo yh to be honest im almost there just need to find right rotation but i have found there are some …lets say errors for the instructions provided. These errors include miss spelled packages to install, not very understandable directions and other oddities. But over all its doable, you can follow each 3 stages chroot-in/installation/chroot-out, using either link provided one or both instructions on each stage. My preference after trying it a couple of times is to uses the uconsole instructions on both chroot in and out and then follow devterm instructions then uconsoles before 'exit’ing out of there and starting chroot out stage. The instructions for uconsole is an assumption that you are converting a “devterm”.img so most of the stages in installation is getting rid of unused packages and other files in replace for “uconsole” type packages itll need for it to work. You will find a few install errors, which are solved by trying different package names (hint: try changing around ’ - ’ and ’ _ ’ for different install names errors) and other odd things like occasionally not being able to fully do all steps in chroot out, dont worry itll be resolved on a reboot of the system. But yh essentially if you dont know really what this whole process is and want to understand it more, its basically making a virtual environment to run the .img on your terminal so that you can install/delete all the correct files before installing that .img on a microSD and booting it up in your uConsole first time. I need to fix both screen rotation and also couldnt figure out about 4g installs (sorry guys) but please post here on any discoveries so we can know publically, also i dont have a 4g myself to test if itll work or not. And of course yes i am gonna release this as a .img.xz but once i gets to a stage where it doesnt crinkle you neck, ill release a link for the download by editing it at the top of this post. But yh essentially you can try it on any .img like ubuntu or manjaro, but i have failed so far and to be honest, wasnt really knowing what i was doing most of the time during working on those, but hopefully we can start working on getting other OS on uconsole using this method or maybe create a community guide on how to do it in an easier or custom way. Also i only think this will work on debian based OS as the instructions for both are based on those systems but im sure there are work arounds and as long as it will work on cm4. Also for A06 and R04 cores out there, im sure these instruction will apply to you too if you use your respective .img file from a devterm equivalents or maybe your on working on your core type .img and creating a compatible uconsole image yourself. Hopefully i can answer some of your questions if needed but my knowledge on linux is on the limited side so i cant answer everything. But yh once i stop typing and start configuring, ill start off with a link for download.

3 Likes

you’re still on the old kernel doing it that way.
you can build postmarketos with a new kernel.
the build script on their site works for the uConsole.

I’ve got the older kernel running bookworm on the DevTerm.

1 Like

Its the .img i got straight from the raspberry pi website 64bit version so i hope it is the most current kurnel. Ill give PostmarketOS a shot, only just got a spare sd card to tinker around with different os while having a base os to go back to.

most recent kernel for the pi is 6.6.20 as of this writing. the script you ran just swaps the already modified kernel into the updated os image.

if you follow the tutorial in the link and you should be up and running in no time. let us know how it turned out.

https://wiki.postmarketos.org/wiki/Installation/Using_pmbootstrap

Just uploaded just a first draft of RPi OS bookworm edition (top of this thread), some corrections are needed to be resolved but you can make these corrections yourself after first boot (guidence in readme), just wanted to get it up for anyone else who would like a go at it before i make a clean/no issue image.

Also im a noob when it comes to making repositories on github so please would appreciate any kind of help. Only download .zip works

1 Like

Right ive got it better orginised and dumping all OS images in Releases, yh i forgot about that :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Can this be adapted to start twister OS?

Thats on my list will keep you posted, also if you cant wait and want to try yourself, ive posted a .txt guide on that github so its a nice and easy copy/paste for uconsole

Hello. Thanks for your work, great OS. I checked the 4G modem. Everything is working. I just needed to copy the launch script from the official image along the path /usr/local/bin/uconsole-4g-cm4 to /usr/local/bin. After this, everything works according to standard instructions. My modem is flashed for 9011 rndis. But I don’t see a problem working with firmware 9001 usbmodem.

2 Likes

Seems working, but after first bootup i unable to change screen brightness with the keyboard(fn+Keys)

Yes ive seem to walk in on that problem too and not so sure why because all the other fn keys work including dedicated ones like volume. Ill change up the issue on the github and also see if i can solve the issue.

Other thing - i tried to switch DE with tasksel, but no luck(( seems like wayland does not work with cinnamon or plasma(

1 Like

Can someone please make a flashible image of PostmarketOS for uConsole CM4, and just share it, please?

1 Like

Best to go to the postmarkos thread for that, im no expert on it myself

1 Like
  1. You need to have an additional linux environment (preferably using your own computer)

2. Install pmbootstrap (used to generate the postmarketOS image).
    $ git clone --depth=1 postmarketOS / pmbootstrap · GitLab
    $ mkdir -p -/.local/bin
    $ ln -s “$PWD/pmbootstrap/pmbootstrap.py” -/.local/bin/pmbootstrap
    $ pmbootstrap --version
    Source: pmbootstrap - postmarketOS

3. Start to initialize and generate the image for the uConsole. Select the corresponding step as prompted.
    $ pmbootstrap init

4. After step 3 is complete, the target image is generated. Then, you need to insert the memory card. You can run the following command to install the memory card. Note that you need to replace /dev/mmcblk0 with the memory card mounting path queried by running the lsblk command.
    $ pmbootstrap install --sdcard /dev/mmcblk0

2 Likes

Anyone who’d be interested in running this script has a suitable computer on hand. I used my uConsole with the default ClockworkPi distro and a USB Micro SD card reader, and it worked fine.

2 Likes