Custom D.E.O.T. V2.0+/Clockwork OS v0.5 image - With customised DEOT interface, Kernel 5.7, Optional 1400MHz OC, Debian 10 Buster, Retroarch 1.9.0, Mupen64+ plus more! (Current build: 200903)

The gameshell uses an arduino “keyboard” programmed for certain keys to be mapped a certain way. Since the pico-8 is a “fantasy” console with a defined pair of action buttons and a D-pad, the gameshell “version” has been mapped to follow this convention. In short, it should just work without needing a special gameshell version.

Try putting it in /home/cpi/.lexaloffle/pico-8/carts/, see if it works, and then if it doesn’t, put it in /home/cpi/.lexaloffle/pico-8/bbs/
That’s where you can find the majority of files. One of them is a cache, but it doesn’t actually ever flush. My guess is that it’s for where the games stores using the online are held.

Anyway, I’m just one guy, and not an expert on Pico-8. I didn’t write the installer for Pico-8, and to be honest, haven’t actually used it too much recently. I can provide help, but ultimately it might be better to start a new thread to get more help. Not everyone will be able to help out if it’s a reply to this custom OS’s thread.

@ajbrensike Hello! All of what you posted makes sense. The problem is, the stock kernel wasn’t written to go up to the higher speeds. It basically has a defined set of clock speeds if has under different loads. From memory, the stock one was an all or nothing affair of 1008MHz for everything. The other ones has tiered clock speeds. If you let the game she’ll sit idle for say 5 mins on one of the “custom” kernels, then do a clockspeed check, you will notice it’s lower.

I “thought” I put in a “sudo reboot” in my scripts, but I could be mistaken! I know for my own use, I removed it, so I can do multiple changes to my choices re: kernel/dtb and then reboot. I don’t actually ever use stock, so that could be why it still had the hard coded reboot present. There’s a chance it may have snuck into the final release the same way. Either way, whether it’s done automatically or not, the Gameshell needs to reboot before the kernel change is applied. That could be why it’s reporting as 5.3.6.

If you want to, you can read the contents of my script file. Is a super simple copy paste affair. I didn’t do any actual on screen menu selectors, since I didn’t expect people to really use it that often, and thought of it as a quick remedy for a few people having problem. I could potentially make one, similar to this:

But ideally, it would be better actually have a kernel that works for everyone that doesn’t need to have switching.
Ideally, just set it to one that gives you the most enjoyment and leave it. 1400MHz is nice, but realistically not many things make use of the full clockspeed, and you’ll enjoy the gameshell just as much without it.

Work has gone back for me, and I’m full on. I’m a musician, so it’s been teaching 7am-4pm, rehearsing/gigging 6pm-10pm on Mon-Fri, then weekend concert/recordings weekends. I’ll see what I can do in my spare time, and I’ll post something here if I come up with a better solution. If anything it will just be a replacement 5.7.0 kernel with the dclock patch applied.

Basically, I’ll be adding this before making the kernel:

sed -i 's/tcon->dclk_min_div = tcon->quirks->dclk_min_div/tcon->dclk_min_div = 6/' ./drivers/gpu/drm/sun4i/sun4i_tcon.c 

This is from @r043v 's suggestion above. Eh, I’ll just do it now. I’ll start compiling now and post in an hour or so. See if it helps!

1 Like