clockworkpi

DevTerm A06 not booting?

Hoping someone can help me debug this! I assembled my A06 DevTerm and everything went together smoothly. However, when connecting USB-C power and hitting the power button, nothing ever shows up on the display. A few notes:

• I do not have 18650 batteries on hand, so I’ve been trying to run solely from USB power. Let me know if this is not supported! The charger is for a Macbook and should provide plenty of amps.
  • The green power LED does come on, but the monitor never comes up.
  • There is a fairly loud buzzing/whine noise which comes from the unit when powered on. I’m not sure precisely where this is originating, but it sounds like it’s coming from the mainboard or the A06. Could this indicate something is defective?
  • I wasn’t sure whether the SD card had been pre-imaged, so I re-imaged it with the A06 image found here. Still no dice.

Thanks!

I remember initial booting my DT took some minutes, so, how long did you wait until you considered your device “dead”? I’d say, the noise/beeping is a good indicator, the device is starting

Hmm I was aware of the potential long first boot - I let it sit for an extended period while I went and did other things. Maybe 30 minutes? The noise is not coming from the speakers - it sounds more like a coil whine. Not sure if that is normal, based on others experience?

okay, well I assume, 30 min would be long enough, at least I didn’t had to wait that long… (btw: coil whining sound is normal when running without batteries, so IMHO, your DT is working basically)

maybe checking the monitoring cable once again?

Inital boot normally takes up to 15 min, because it expands your system partition and sd cards are slow medium (in compare w. emmc and ssd). 30min boot is not normal, so trouble may be in:

1. Your charger. Borrow an another one somewhere, branded one, and test with it
  2. SD card may be partially bricked. Try another one or test your card with this: HOME PAGE OF MISHA CHERKES
  3. Your devterm is broken :frowning: If you have some skill, you can check your devterm’s power circut with multimeter for 5v or something…

It also seems that the A06 DT in some occasion does not like to boot with empty battery. Make sure your battery is a bit charged before booting it.

1 Like

Make sure you are pressing the power button AND WAITING a second or two before letting go. Sorry if this is obvious.