DevTerm Production Status Update

Hey guys, I’m Alex, a member of Clockwork Tech. Some of you guys may have had talks with me as I’ve been doing most of the emails.
I’m here to share some details about the DevTerm.
As @yong has mentioned, the DevTerm is very close to be shipped. The first batch will be the CM3, then A06, then A04. The reason that we have to ship in batches is that as some of you guys have noticed, the CM3 is a pre-manufactured core from RaspberryPi, which we’ve ordered for a while. The A06 and A04 are customized cores, they are currently on the producing line. According to the manufacturer’s schedule, the A06 will be ready soon, so it will be shipped just a few days after the CM3, a couple of weeks tops. The A04 will take a little more time.
The biggest problem we had was the producing of PCB of the mainborad and the core. Briefly, our designs of the PCB have many more layers than usual, so it was surprisingly complex for our manufacturer. But we’ve solved the problem.
Also, although the COVID in Canton has been under control, the effect still exists. Our manufacturers had to hold some producing schedule to cooperate with the government, and that has caused some sort of jam when the new orders came like ours.
But there’s good news.
For starter, chip shortage will no longer be one of our main concerns in the short future. We’ve secured our needs, thanks to our dedicated suppliers.
And, there’s no serious technical difficulties any more. During the time of waiting, our R&D guys has been working on optimizing the OS, trying to support the latest Linux mainline kernel.
Those are what I have in hands now. If you want to know anything else, please feel free to email to alex@clockworkpi.com.
I think, just like all of my colleagues think, as a community, there should not be any hidden information, at least when it’s about everyone’s intrest. So, I’ll come back to you guys every time that I have new details to share.
You guys have been awesome. Sincerely.

30 Likes