DevTerm Production Status Update

Amazing that you still keep tabs on this despite pulled out many days ago! Glad to see your interest of the product hasn’t waned :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

2 Likes

From this guy:
https://weibo.com/beckmint

He is attending a event held by https://sspai.com/.

2 Likes

Not yet but when we do its gonna be awesome!

@AlexDuan Could you tell us more about the keyboard? Are the keys using any kind of switches at all or is it something like capacitive membrane? If possible could we see pictures of the inside or a video of someone typing something on it with sound? Also is there any update on the A06 production? Will it be shipping this or next week?

Sorry about all the questions looking forward to it and any new pictures at all gets me a bit excited.

3 Likes

SSPAI held an event to let it member to experience some “GEEK STUFF” in Shenzhen. I have seen the Pocket CHIP in their repo but I don’t know they also have a real DevTerm.

To go to this event only cost me 3 hours on train and 75 CNY. I feel too sad now.

7 Likes

More photos by 老麦煮机, founder of sspai.com.

10 Likes

That looks like an ordinary Raspberry Pi OS on there. I am hoping for something more sexy to be honest, after looking at the DevTerm product page.

Considering the CM3 is the first batch to be shipped, seems fair that the OS you see its the RPi OS

6 Likes

It is definitely Raspbian as there is a rPi logo on the top left :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Maybe, but I thought they were working on their own OS, and I would assume that to be working on any of the chips, including the CM3. But maybe it’s just a pre-production unit anyway.

It’s natural to use Raspian for cm3+
Maybe they have different OS skin for A series cores.

3 Likes

At one stage we had a plethora of people asking if you can put raspberry Pi os on the gameshell. Now that the devterm is shown running it, people want to see clockwork OS.
Either way, people will want something different.
Most of the pre production shots showed clockwork OS, so having a working model showing raspberry Pi OS should be a welcome feature showcase to wet our whistle.
This inadvertently shows that the Debian desktop environment has no problems running on the devterm, resolution wise.

6 Likes

Based on my experience with the Gameshell, I’m far more interested in how the hardware feels and performs than what software it comes with. The software is easy to fix, and will likely become much better through community efforts over time, no matter what the starting point is.

It’s just nice to see some devices out there.

7 Likes

Yeah, i’d still like to see one over here already though.

2 Likes

Firstly, we are waiting for the A06 to be shipped to the manufacturer. Meanwhile, we are arranging the shipping window with the carrier. I can’t promise a solid date, but things have been going pretty fast during the last a few days.
Then the keyboard. I’ll ask my colleague if he has the time to shoot a video. But sound will be an issue since the keyboard on the DevTerm barely has any noticeable voice during typing.

10 Likes

Forget rPi OS, what are the chances of getting RISC OS up and running on the Devterm?

(Ducks and runs …)

3 Likes

Well, I never owned a Gameshell, so I’m not one of those people. I’m not complaining, just observing.

But given that they advertise it to run with clockworkOS, Debian, Ubuntu and Raspbian/RPi OS, it’s totally natural to see a pre-production unit with RPi OS, which is probably the easiest to get running. I’m just a little anxious about units being sent out without the software being stable, but as @adcockm pointed out, that’s easy to fix after shipping.

Found two more photos, enjoy it:

20 Likes

You may like this photo:

She is really beautiful!!! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :star_struck: :kissing_heart: :heart_eyes:

18 Likes

Please keep us updated on the A06 shipping status - thank you for your update a day ago.

8 Likes