DevTerm Production Status Update

Sorry I lost track about what we were discussing. But there is another batch of A06s during packing, and more are coming. All A06s will be shipped in a few days, there will be only A04s left, which the cores are all ready, just waiting for the OS to be done.
With all due respect, but I don’t think it is urgent to have a page only for updating the status considering all the pre-orders will be in your hands in a few weeks. We’ll have to remove it in a very short time since the products will be back in stock right after the pre-orders are shipped.

13 Likes

awesome news! thanks for the info alex.

Time to buy batteries for my A06

3 Likes

I have a question about the OS - does it have an APT-like repo for installing software through a shell? Or is it a gui-based “app store” or install pre-downloaded packages…?

1 Like

so, this all depends on what you want. devterm a06 is armbian-based, so you’re probably going to be using apt. there are lots of GUI frontends that allow you to install and manage packages without CLI use, so look into those if you do need a GUI for that!

I’m more than comfortable (and happy) using apt to install packages, I’ve been doing it for ever. Was just wondering if the stock OS used it. I don’t like graphical stores, they slow me down.

2 Likes

I’m not a moderator but I think talking about how to install software will be better not at delivery theme.

1 Like

does that mean there wont be anymore A-06 models sold? was trying to save up for one

Don’t listen to the whiners and wingers Alex. You guys are rocking in!

2 Likes

Please don’t forget to buy batteries “with the protection circuit”.

1 Like

No, don´t buy batteries with protection circuit build in.
The battery board has his own BMS vor protection and 18650 with protection circuits are to long. They are don’t fit in the holder!

3 Likes

Do you have a source for that? I thought they were called 18650 batteries because they’re 18mm in diameter and 65mm long; they should all be the same size.

Would you please move any battery related discussion to the corresponding thread about batteries? All these issues have already been discussed in depth.

Greetings

Nico

3 Likes

Nope nope nope and nope.

This is a really stupid recommendation, and the “Battery Management System” have nothing to do with the protection on the battery themselves:

Protection on battery are to avoid short circuit, deep discharge and over charge. Things the “BMS” can’t do, especially when the batteries are NOT in the Dev Term.

3 Likes

And yeah. I’ve politely requested some time ago to let this thread die and create new one as needed for question, but I’m going to ask again.

This thread is huge, lots of discussion, often unrelated with the original topic and is difficult for everyone to read and get the needed informations.
So from now if you have any question; please use either another existing related thread, or create a new one, and let this one die.

3 Likes

The BMS do everything for the protection :wink: And a battery with protection is a build in BMS.
But if you buy a cheap one it not do everything for you.
We have a thread for battery and there are all informations about.
There you found the information about two batterys with protection, booth not fitt into the case.

Nope. and this is not the place to discuss that.

3 Likes

In that case, maybe it would be a good idea to have the front page direct to a static page that’s kept updated with production/shipping info? In all fairness, the main DevTerm page currently directs to this thread, so people are inevitably going to see this thread as being the main place to look for news and ask questions.

4 Likes

Hey @AlexDuan, any updates with the shipping of the remaining A06’s?

I’m not sure that’s a good use of Clockwork’s resources: it’d be time-consuming to build, and even more time-consuming to keep current. I think the occasional update post here would be just fine - kind of like what they’ve already been doing. That way, they can spend most of their time doing what we all want - getting the DevTerms out to all of us, while making them as awesome as we all know they can be.

Also, it’s been a whole holiday week over there - by comparison, just look at how slow a lot of the US is to get moving again after just one day off yesterday.

Lastly, let’s not forget a tenet that I’ve lived by my entire working life, and one which every engineer should cherish: The Scotty Principle. :grin:

2 Likes