How to get gPSP to run?

I know it has been talked about already but it seems unclear to me how to actually get it to run. I’m not sure if the config file is different then then setting up the other emulators and I’m also not sure where the bios goes. Can anyone help me out?

What do you have for now?

Show your config and stuff so we can get a better idea on how you have everything set up.

Also check the ownership of the files, if they are root change them to cpi with chown cpi file

And hopefully you are aware that it is a GBA emulator. Some have mistakenly thought it was a PSP emulator :s

ROM=/home/cpi/games/GBA
ROM_SO=/home/cpi/apps/emulators/gpsp_libretro.so
EXT=gb,gbc,gba,gbx
LAUNCHER=retroarch -L
TITLE=GBA Roms
SO_URL=http://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/linux/armv7-neon-hf/latest/gpsp_libretro.so.zip

Here is what I have right now. Im also unsure of where the bios file will go.

Yeah I am aware. The name is misleading that it could be a PSP emulator

It should be the same as the rom folder.

You can set a “bios” folder under settings and directories in retroarch if I remember right

I have placed the bios inside of the folder set in retroarch but emulator will crash when loading rom

Uh, is the bios named correctly? gba_bios.bin

If it is, you might just need to make a “bios” folder and tell retroarch to use that. It is convenient when working with other systems that also need bios.

It could also be looking at some other location for your bios. If that is the case… I recommend the above. I honestly did that before I had a chance to have issues…

Changing the folder did work to help it work this time thanks.

@Ryan_Leadbetter where did you move the BIOS to?

Is gpsp better than mgba_libretro.so ? I am using the latter and works just fine… (sorry if it is a silly question, i am a noob at cores).

In my case bios files (*.gba) go in /home/cpi/games/GBA

My config file (action.config) is in /home/cpi/apps/launcher/Menu/GameShell/20_Retro Games/GBA
and contains the following;

ROM=/home/cpi/games/GBA
ROM_SO=/home/cpi/apps/emulators/mgba_libretro.so
EXT=gb,gbc,gba,gbx
LAUNCHER=retroarch -L
TITLE=GBA
SO_URL=https://raw.githubusercontent.com/cuu/emulators/master/mgba_libretro.so.zip

Just change the bit after emulator/ to the gpsp core name if you prefer that and of course adjust the source link

2 Likes

Hi All,
i have try to put the gba_bios.bin on the roms directory and also try to set the bios/system directory with no luck. it just show loading and failed to load the game. any chance someone to confirm the build version of the GPSP that works?thx u

Same here. Tried copying the BIOS and setting a folder and it just crashes while loading.

SAme issue here now. I had to reinstall the gPSP.so file and now its crashing

the build on buildbot wont work. Either will the one you download direct in RetroArch. There was a tweaked version of it available on here a few months ago… the link for it is now dead, and I didn’t back the file up or I’d make it available to everyone.

EDIT: doing a deep scan on both of my computers with Recuva to recover deleted files. Hopefully I find it.

https://pcroz.stackstorage.com/s/k8cCXCg8DwZZQf9 for now and until fr500 responds :wink:

2 Likes

you absolutely are the GOAT YAAAAAAAAAY!!!

I’m wondering if buildbot is overwriting this file with its own every time we “set up automatically”

I’ve managed to figure out that it is in fact reading your bios correctly… that’s why it kinda “skips” at the loading screen. It actually opens the game and then crashes out, so it’s definitely an issue with the .so

I’m lead to believe that buildbot is overwriting our file with its own from the website.

I just spent the last 8 hours trying to figure it out. I’ll try again tomorrow lol

Just uploaded an older core to the link from an earlier image. Can you try that one ?