Is it possible to attach a larger LCD to the CPI?

Hello!

I just ordered my GameShell and I’m really excited! I apologize if my question could be answered by any documentation included in the box, or by physically inspecting the hardware. Since I haven’t received my GameShell yet, I only have access to the documentation on GitHub (which I’ve been pouring over).

So with that out of the way, here’s my question. I’m thinking about 3D printing a custom shell and attaching a 3.5 inch screen to the CPI (with the same 320x240 resolution). I’m trying to find a screen that would work with the CPI.

The Clockwork Mainboard Schematic on GitHub appears to show the pinout of the “LCD_FPC_CON” on the last page. Here’s a picture of that section:
40%20PM

I’ve been looking around, and I can’t find an LCD screen that has this pin configuration. (But I’m new to electronics, so maybe I’m just missing something obvious.)

Is this a standard configuration? If so, does it have a name that I can use in my searches? In another thread, I saw @aewens describe it as a “18-bit RGB display interface”.

https://forum.clockworkpi.com/t/request-open-source-curcuitboard/207

But it looks like different LCDs can support this interface while having different pin configurations.

Besides the pin-configuration issue, there’s also the issue of the LCD driver. Judging by the CPI kernel patch, I can see that it is using a “STARTEK KD027 LCD Driver”. (So I assume the LCD is made by Shenzhen Startek? Do they make a 3.5 inch LCD that would be compatible with the CPI? I couldn’t find one, but I also don’t know what exactly to look for.)

In order to use a different screen with the CPI, is it correct to assume that the kernel would need to use a different LCD driver? (Unless of course the other screen was happily compatible with the “kd027-lcd” driver.)

Anyway, I guess to wrap it all up, what I really want to know is: Can I connect a larger LCD (with the same 320x240 resolution) to the CPI and make it work? If so, what are the steps involved?

Sorry for the long question! Thanks for reading it,
jvs

1 Like

I want more info on this Maxwell the module design is cool would like to put a crystal clear screen in but need a smart person haha

Just wondering, couldnt you use the HDMI output? I saw a kiosk in an electronics store using that hooked up to a full size monitor

1 Like

steve is entirely correct. a mini HDMI -> HDMI adaptor will run you like $30USD on amazon, and I’ve used it without issue. add a BT controller and you have a full emulation system on a monitor.