clockworkpi

RetroArch Megathread

Sorry; what I wanted to see was what you were doing that gave a 404 error for.

Ie, was it updating assets, running the update script, following the update instructions, checking the retroarch GitHub page, loading someone else’s comment from somewhere in this thread etc.

Were you then asking if the 404 error/server status has been updated? Or rather, if your retroarch has been updated, despite the 404 error?

I updated retroarch on a spare card last night for fun, and I didn’t have any issues.

Using the script above with the using Bash command to run the website to get the setup script is when I got the 404 error

Right. I actually did it manually, but script is the same.

I added to the config parameters “–enable-neon”

ok so far so good, all seems to have gone well

1 Like

what else is needed to update retroarch?

I’m not sure I get what you mean.
Did you manage to update successfully to 1.7.8?
I guess once you’ve done that, you’ll just need to either change the path that the retro emulators find retroarch, move the retroarch folder to .config, or create symbolic links.

If you have it running, in the online updater option, update assets. And add cores. Then edit the settings as needed. If you want the XMB interface, go into drivers and choose xmb in the menu driver section.

Did that cover what you needed?

I did this

I’ll keep this thread up-to-date with RetroArch news and changes. For now, I’ll start with a guide to build an up-to-date RetroArch I assume you can SSH into your GS already. Setup First let’s setup the build environment sudo apt-get install git build-essential sudo apt-get build-dep retroarch Then let’s clone the repo git clone https://github.com/libretro/RetroArch.git retroarch Enter the directory and run the following commands cd retroarch ./configure --disable-vulkan --disable-ffmpeg…

I added to the config parameters “–enable-neon”

The formatting of the forums makes the double dash merge. I should have put it in a code box.
Use this.

--enable-neon

Is it running? Did it update? Or are you just asking for other things to customise, like installing cores, or changing what the interface looks like? I’m not sure I’m following what you’re asking.

im trying to update to 1.78

Right. So did it manage to update? It takes a really long time.

nope, still on 1.77 not sure what im doing wrong

I’m fairly sure the tutorial is for installing it from scratch, before it was included with clockwork OS. The current clockwork OS has it installed in a different directory to this tutorial.

Have a look at this post I made, and give the instruction a go.

Also check this too: (all from posts above)

(The extra neon switch I mentioned isn’t 100% necessary - but useful, since the newer versions of RA have access to the repositories that have cores that support additional neon instructions)

im still trying to get it to upgrade to 1.78

I’m not sure what else to really offer without any more information on what you’re doing. Are you following the instructions?

tryingf to upgrade 1.77 retroarch to 1.78 is all

Right. So can you please let me know what you have done? If you can give me exactly what you typed; not just what you followed, but what you typed into your command line, we can go from there.

I have a feeling that your shortcut that you have in your homescreen is directing towards the old installation. If you scroll up you can see a few solutions.

But to be honest, if you just want 1.7.8 for the XMB interface, don’t bother. We will be here for another 20 posts getting it into a useable state. The resolution really isn’t suited to it. You’ll need to change the font, interface scaling, and goodness knows what else. I just fiddle and tinker by nature, and enjoy doing so. The other benefits are also great, eg AI on screen language recognition, but again, you will have to do a lot of fiddling that is far more difficult than what it takes to move a directory; not to mention things that inevitably “break” that you will need go find your own workarounds fo fix.

You’re not missing out on any performance gains sticking to 1.7.7.

ok nevermind then it was mostly for xmb

Since I assume (maybe incorrectly!) that all the XMB settings and feature settings are stored in the Retroarch configs, is it worth trying to save the configuration files from your working install, and then using those on a clean install rather than trying to document all the steps required to create those configs?

Why RetroArch on GameShell don’t have “shader” option?
In my opinion, RA on any plantform should have the same functions and abilities.
I’m really confused.:joy:

In the event that features are added/removed between versions, I’d be careful with doing that. You can inadvertently break things.

Keeping a spare copy, and comparing sections that are similar and replacing them subjectively would be the best bet. That said, it shouldn’t be that difficult to just redo your config files from scratch.

The steps documented above are actually documenting how to do a clean install, including all of the assets etc to actually use XMB and other things. They just so happen to include how to update to the latest version of retroarch. Just copying the config file over to a stock setup unfortunately won’t give you the XMB interface. Think of it like putting a Ferrari steering wheel on a VW beetle, and expecting it to go faster.

As for the settings to make XMB look nice, I guess it’s more not many people use it, since the screen resolution is honestly a bit too small. Potentially I could upload my settings, but that would also include uploading the font I used, and instructions on how to install them etc. and would no doubt not be to everyone’s liking. (I enjoy squinting at tiny UIs)

@AznableMiao If you install/update the shader assets, you can use them. The stock installation doesn’t haven’t them installed to keep it lightweight and fast, I’m assuming.

That said, I remember reading somewhere that the initial choice of the screen for the Gameshell was made to be one that without using software, almost mimics the display of a retro game device.

It’s not a power horse machine, so honestly; don’t expect things to run smoothly with shaders. It probably isn’t worth your trouble. Consider using filters instead.