There’s a quick button remap you can do, going into the game shell settings>button layout> and updating Retroarch keys from there. That’s a good start!
Thanks! That solved my problem!
Hello. I am having a problem now where my GS is stuck on a loading screen after booting. I just finished the sudo make install command from the steps above but I can’t load retroarch because it’s still loading. I tried power cycling but it will still get stuck on the loading screen.
Hullo!! Welcome to the forums! There’s a very high chance you maaaaay have maxed out your SD card’s storage capacity. Do you remember if you had adequate space? Or was the SD card packed to the brim with Roms? This is one of the symptoms of doing so.
If you have access to a Linux machine, or even a virtual machine with a Linux distribution, you can access the SD card and delete a few larger files. See how that goes.
Otherwise, try SSH into it. Sometimes the wifi will still be initialised, even after a frozen boot screen.
Hmm yeah that makes sense. My SD card is 8GB and it said that it was filled to 3GB before I did all the configuration commands. I guess that took up the rest of the space. I am able to SSH into the GS - I am using a Mac thru the terminal window. If I used a bigger SD card, would I have to start over or could I clone the 8GB card to the new one?
Filled to to 3GB shouldn’t be enough to fill it. The Retroarch installation wouldn’t be 5GB +. I’ve got about 2GB on my day to day installation and it seemingly behaves.
If you can SSH into the gameshell, try and do a git pull. Here’s some instructions on how to do this, and more!
Hi, thank you for your info. However, I’m still stuggling with it. So I had an issue where the RetroArch is asking for login, I used your method to get it opening. However, I was so close until I got to the inputing configs. Somehow my RetroArch looked like playstation theme. I kinda played around with it and things went wrong and I couldn’t open RetroArch at all. I removed and reverted it using that rm and wget but it’s still not working. I sent email to help but they didn’t reply. Can you diagnose my issue?
That’s the menu driver set to XMB. If you have the old Lima drivers, it messes up. If you use fbturbo it runs poorly.
Unless you upgrade the Lima drivers, you should change to the rgui menu drivers. You may also need to change your video drivers to sdl2 or x.
Meantime, you can try my config.
I have some issue, when I try to use video filter retroarch stop working and close without saving.
Also when I force to use the filter by modifiy manually the retroarch.cfg the filter isn’t use.
Have you somes ideas?
The default installation has a few things omitted in the config/make process. This was no doubt a relic of the older days when we hadn’t gotten the Lima drivers to really behave, and it simply wasn’t worth using filters.
They use a lot of resources and basically slow things down a lot. That said, with recent driver development on the gameshell front, things may well work better!
Have a look into upgrading the kernel, Lima/Mesa drivers and then recompiling Retroarch from scratch.
I’ve made a custom image with all of that done, if you just want to test it. Using the image, I just ran a few random filters on a snes core in Retroarch, running castlevania V. Seems to work fine with no problems, slow downs or crashes. This is using the Lima drivers.
Ok thank I’m going to explore that.
When you talk about your custom image it’s the D.E.O.T?
Yup, that’s the one. just trying to do the community a good deed, putting together the more cumbersome scripts that seem to cause the most user problems.
I assume you can SSH into your GS already. no and how?
Flashed 0.4 OS image to SD and tried to run libretro vice (c64) in RetroArch but it just loads for few seconds and then reverts back to Gameshell UX… it worked earlier (like several months ago) but now I wanted to start “fresh” and not sure what is going on… anyone else having the same … wondering if this is some version issue or something else…
all the games I tried worked just fine
hi, thanks for the info i will take a look. thank you.
Never mind Just flashed 0.5. Everything works now again.
Hi! Seems I can’t compile using make -j4
It hangs indefinitely and then fails with
g++: fatal error: Killed signal terminated program cc1plus
Makefile:220: recipe for target ‘obj-unix/release/ui/drivers/ui_qt.o’ failed
make: *** [obj-unix/release/ui/drivers/ui_qt.o] Error 1
make: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs…
Any idea anyone ?
Probably not important but it fails on CXX ui/drivers/qt/ui_qt_msg_window.cpp.
I tried several times and still the same result. I also tried with make -j3 but it fails now on CXX ui/drivers/qt/coreoptionsdialog.cpp
Hullo! Welcome to the forums!
I actually go as far as going down to -j2.
You probably know it, but it’s just referring to the number of jobs.
It’s funny that you’re not hanging on the same file that I see most people getting stuck on. Just a small observation.
The good news is, whenever it hangs for me, I can just terminate the operation, modify the number of jobs, and then resume from where I left off without any adverse effects.
I built retroarch about 5 times today using two jobs. It might take longer, but at least there’s the assurance it’s not going to hang, so you can go and make a cake, or do your ironing or something.
Also, you probably already worked it out, but this guide is probably the grand father of the retroarch addition to the gameshell. The current retroarch is installed in the ˜/.config/retroarch directory.