clockworkpi

RetroArch Megathread

Tested with your image (latest 200903) and I can run vice x64 and get the “C64” blue screen but loading content still fails… this is getting a bit annoying :slight_smile:

1 Like

Oh hang on C64, as on Commodore 64? I admit; I haven’t even tried to use this core! It may possibly need to have a bios to run?
Can you let me know exactly what core and what rom image you’re using? I’ll test it when I have some time.

1 Like

Core is Vice x64 (vice_x64_liberto.so) and as far as I know, it should not need any bios… I have been running the same in my Android phone without any issues. And I doubt it has anything to do with the Clockwork OS either, now tested 3 and in all the behaviour is the same… must be config thing…

1 Like

I’ve seemingly gotten it running on mine.
I just made an action.config file that looks like this.
Note: your core directory and rom directory may be different.

ROM=/home/cpi/games/C64/
ROM_SO=/home/cpi/.config/retroarch/cores/vice_x64_libretro.so
EXT=zip
LAUNCHER=retroarch -L
TITLE=VICE Roms
SO_URL=

Here’s a video of it loading up:

1 Like

Looks promising :slight_smile: Where did you saved the action.config ? Also not sure how you started the image? from retroactch ? Load core and then load content ?

1 Like

You can just type

retroarch -L /home/cpi/.config/retroarch/cores/vice_x64_libretro.so /home/cpi/games/C64/ROMNAME if you want to load an image.

If running directly from a SSH session command line, start with export DISPLAY=:0 to make sure you can see what’s running on your gameshell.

The action config is something that lets you do that in a more automated way if say, you have a lot of images.

I just put a directory in the ~/apps/menu/ and then put in a file called action.config containing what I typed above.
You’ll also need to have a directory for your game images, and specify what it is in the action.config.

I didn’t load the game via Retroarch using your method. It would be way too clunky to load up the commodore OS, and use an OSD keyboard with a CLI. I just thought i’d save some time using the action.config file. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks,

This is what I get
cpi@clockworkpi:~$ retroarch -L /home/cpi/.config/retroarch/cores/vice_x64_libretro.so /home/cpi/games/c64/BRUCELEE.D64
Segmentation fault

if I mistype the D64 name it launches to the C64 core… I just flashed again your DEOT and tried adding new menu-item with the action.config and it works nicely, listing all my roms but again, running them does just not work.

ROM=/home/cpi/games/c64/
ROM_SO=/home/cpi/.config/retroarch/cores/vice_x64_libretro.so
EXT=d64,g64,t64,zip,prg
LAUNCHER=retroarch -L
TITLE=VICE Roms
SO_URL=
1 Like

If it helps, the core I downloaded was the “fast” variant over the accurate one. There were a few flavours to choose from. I take it you’re using the online updater to download the core? I haven’t downloaded any other c64 cores, so don’t know if they use different names. Either way, make sure the core name matches up to the one that you downloaded.
Very strange that it didn’t work for you, since we’re on the same OS image, are no doubt using the same rom, and using the same method.
I’m really hoping you haven’t got a corrupt/counterfeit SD card. Perhaps try a different SD card.

1 Like

Phew… tested now with 3 known working SD’s and in the end its all the same… no matter if I run directly from the Retroarch, from commandline or using the action.config :slight_smile:

[libretro INFO] Autodetected image type 1541.
[libretro INFO] Resetting the machine to autostart '*'
[libretro INFO] `/home/cpi/games/c64/BRUCELEE.D64' recognized as disk image.
[libretro INFO] Image for autostart: '/home/cpi/games/c64/BRUCELEE.D64'
Segmentation fault

Everything else seems to work ok so I doubt that my clockwork would be broken… could you check if you run retroarch with -v what you get after the “Image for autostart” as it seems that there is where this crashes… Core works without disk but yeah… don’t know where to look next…

1 Like

Did you get to see my video in time? I had to wait for about 30 seconds which is pretty long. I’ll upload it again if you want. I’ll check and do a verbose log when I get home from work.
Meantime, which vice core are you using? I was specifically using the fast one. The accurate one could possibly be incompatible for some reason.
It shouldn’t make any difference, but I was specifying to load the zip files; and not the extracted image.

1 Like

Yep, saw the video, thanks for that. I’m using the same core, the fast and tested with accurate also but it does the same. I’ll give zip file a test but could not see how it would make any difference other than it would add small delay on the content load…

1 Like

Funny enough, zip files seems to work better… did not get to play but got that nice “bruce lee” loading screen…some progress!

1 Like

Could the file not have decompressed cleanly? Or perhaps corrupted/incomplete transfer.
It could just in general be a bad dump. I don’t know what kind of load times to expect from a c64, but 30 seconds seems pretty long.

Now you’ve got it running up to the point I was at, I take it you don’t need a verbose printout. I admit I just got it running, and didn’t do much more. I don’t see how using the Gameshell for c64 would be fun without a keyboard plugged in. I’m not a fan of just using an on screen keyboard. But imagine this running on the devterm! That’s interesting!

1 Like

it’d probably run perfectly! gamepad buttons + keyboard would have the major inputs covered.

1 Like

Yeah, 99% games just needs joypad + fire … you may need to press few other keys to get game started but those can be accessed via the on-screen keyboard easily. :slight_smile: Thanks @javelinface for the help and guidance! :slight_smile: highly appreciated. Now only thing is that game runs pretty slow so I need to tweak on the settings a bit… but at least now I’m able to run these! Whoohoo!

1 Like

Potentially give it a slight overclock. There were instances when some Mame/FBA games would change from barely playable, to silky smooth.
You’ll need to have kernel that has been overclocked.
Stock gameshell is 1008MHz, vs overclocked 1400MHz.

1 Like

Looks like it was enough to change

• Output Sample Rate [vice_sound_sample_rate] to 22050
  • SID Engine [vice_sid_engine] to (FastSID|

works perfectly.

and with Automatic Load Warp [vice_autoloadwarp] (enabled) load times are just few second…

finally…now I just need to rezip my games :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Glad you got it all working! Such an odd solution, but hey! If it works, it works. I am curious as to why decompressing it yourself didn’t work, and why it kept seg faulting. I’ll try it myself when I have some time.
Good to know what settings you changed to get it working. I’m sure other people would be very interested to know this!

1 Like

Hi, I couldn’t get input work for psx games. I am using latest image deot 0.5 - retroarch 1.9.0.
Controls are working for all emulators except psx emulators. Is there a way to enable input for psx emulators?

1 Like

Is this my custom OS? It should be working using the core I installed onto retroarch. Which core are you using? And which game? It could be to do with mapping of analogue vs Dpad inputs.