RetroArch Megathread

Right! So since you’re using my firmware, I know what your directory structure is.

First, make a directory called FBA within your ~/games directory, and transfer your Roms that are for FBNeo here. Just a selection, unless you like taking up 20GB of superfluous space!

Next, make a directory in the ~/apps/Menu/20_Retro\ Games/ called something like 11_FBA. It doesn’t really matter. The number just determines that it will be adjacent to the existing Mame folder.

Next, make a file called action.config inside this directory and paste this in:

ROM=/home/cpi/games/FBA
ROM_SO=/home/cpi/.config/retroarch/cores/fbneo_libretro.so
EXT=zip
LAUNCHER=retroarch -L
TITLE=FBA Roms
EXCLUDE=neogeo.zip
SO_URL=https://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/linux/armv7-neon-hf/latest/fbneo_libretro.so.zip

This is applicable for my custom OS. If anyone is using this for another version, simply modify the ROM_SO line to indicate where you would like it installed.

You shouldn’t need to download the core via the Retroarch online updater, since this action.config contains a SO_URL pointing you to the same file.

From memory, my latest firmware should have a custom icon for FBA already in the skin file. I could be mistaken. If not, just go to ~/skins/DEOT/Menu/GameShell/20_Retro\ Games/ and put a file called FBA.png in that directory that you want the folder to look like. Like I said, I think I included one with the latest version. Otherwise I’ve also uploaded just the skin here (I think the FBA icon was included there?? I’ll find out when I get home from work.)

Anyway hopefully that was easy enough to follow. If not, I’ll write out a script to automate it all for you. :slight_smile:

1 Like

@javelinface i don’t think we say thank you enough!
this is really amazing! Thanks Peter!!

1 Like

Is everything on the main, first post up to date ?

Is anyone success with latest RetroArch 1.8.8? I compiled and launched, but when I entering anything, screen goes freeze with this error in terminal:

lima 1c40000.gpu: gp error irq state=4 status=2b

Never mind, I have re-compiled and now it’s working :slight_smile:

1 Like

I compiled 1.89 ,I set video driver to gl ,load content make retroarch crush.

Just started to play again with CPI but I have this same issue and no idea where to look next… all cores starts but loading content does not work… nothing special in logs either…annoying. Latest OS, latest Retroarch and cores…

1 Like

Might need to post some crash logs or similar to have any diagnosis. Might not be anything special, but at least it will say something about why it’s crashing.

How did you go about updating Retroarch?

Latest Retroarch, I’m guessing is 1.9.0? What arguments were used when making?

Latest OS, do you mean clockwork OS 0.5, or Debian OS Buster? Or possibly just the launcher updated?

So Cores start, but loading content doesn’t work? How are you determining if your cores have started? Are you running Retroarch, and then loading the cores; and then loading content? Or are you using the action.config files from the launcher?

Sounds like you have an idea of what you’re doing, but if you would rather not have to mess around with troubleshooting, potentially try my custom image out. It has most things updated to the newest version, and tested to be working.

Thanks, I’ll give your image a test :slight_smile: I tested with clean Clockwork OS .5 image, did zero configs changes, just set up the wifi and was able to run vice x64 core ok from there but if I tried to load content (example d64 image) it just “crashes”. Also compiled the 1.9.0 retroarch but not luck… could not find any errors in retroarch.log (set it debug) ; not sure if there are any other logs I should check … but yeah, I’ll report back after I get your image up and running :slight_smile:

1 Like

If it was a compiled Retroarch, it may be using a different config file that may need to be configured from scratch. This may also depend on which arguments were uses. A lot of the instructions for making Retroarch from the OP may potentially be out of date, now we have the graphics drives working; especially pertaining to GL drivers etc. since they’re all mostly working now.

Also, the buildbot URL I think by default is linking to the wrong repository. It should be linking to the one using the neon instructions. Normally by default, the gameshell links to a private link for customised .so core files for most Retroarch cores. They most likely aren’t up to date relative to the current Retroarch buildbot versions. Better yet you can even build your own if you can be bothered.

The default core install location is also not the most conventional one. It might need to be properly defined in the Retroarch config. Again, these are all things I’ve addressed in my custom OS, while trying to keep as much of a vanilla OS feel. That said, there are a couple of other fantastic OS’s to try, including an arch Linux variant, plus a minimal OS, just using Retroarch.

Tested with your image (latest 200903) and I can run vice x64 and get the “C64” blue screen but loading content still fails… this is getting a bit annoying :slight_smile:

1 Like

Oh hang on C64, as on Commodore 64? I admit; I haven’t even tried to use this core! It may possibly need to have a bios to run?
Can you let me know exactly what core and what rom image you’re using? I’ll test it when I have some time.

1 Like

Core is Vice x64 (vice_x64_liberto.so) and as far as I know, it should not need any bios… I have been running the same in my Android phone without any issues. And I doubt it has anything to do with the Clockwork OS either, now tested 3 and in all the behaviour is the same… must be config thing…

1 Like

I’ve seemingly gotten it running on mine.
I just made an action.config file that looks like this.
Note: your core directory and rom directory may be different.

ROM=/home/cpi/games/C64/
ROM_SO=/home/cpi/.config/retroarch/cores/vice_x64_libretro.so
EXT=zip
LAUNCHER=retroarch -L
TITLE=VICE Roms
SO_URL=

Here’s a video of it loading up:

1 Like

Looks promising :slight_smile: Where did you saved the action.config ? Also not sure how you started the image? from retroactch ? Load core and then load content ?

1 Like

You can just type

retroarch -L /home/cpi/.config/retroarch/cores/vice_x64_libretro.so /home/cpi/games/C64/ROMNAME if you want to load an image.

If running directly from a SSH session command line, start with export DISPLAY=:0 to make sure you can see what’s running on your gameshell.

The action config is something that lets you do that in a more automated way if say, you have a lot of images.

I just put a directory in the ~/apps/menu/ and then put in a file called action.config containing what I typed above.
You’ll also need to have a directory for your game images, and specify what it is in the action.config.

I didn’t load the game via Retroarch using your method. It would be way too clunky to load up the commodore OS, and use an OSD keyboard with a CLI. I just thought i’d save some time using the action.config file. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks,

This is what I get
cpi@clockworkpi:~$ retroarch -L /home/cpi/.config/retroarch/cores/vice_x64_libretro.so /home/cpi/games/c64/BRUCELEE.D64
Segmentation fault

if I mistype the D64 name it launches to the C64 core… I just flashed again your DEOT and tried adding new menu-item with the action.config and it works nicely, listing all my roms but again, running them does just not work.

ROM=/home/cpi/games/c64/
ROM_SO=/home/cpi/.config/retroarch/cores/vice_x64_libretro.so
EXT=d64,g64,t64,zip,prg
LAUNCHER=retroarch -L
TITLE=VICE Roms
SO_URL=
1 Like

If it helps, the core I downloaded was the “fast” variant over the accurate one. There were a few flavours to choose from. I take it you’re using the online updater to download the core? I haven’t downloaded any other c64 cores, so don’t know if they use different names. Either way, make sure the core name matches up to the one that you downloaded.
Very strange that it didn’t work for you, since we’re on the same OS image, are no doubt using the same rom, and using the same method.
I’m really hoping you haven’t got a corrupt/counterfeit SD card. Perhaps try a different SD card.

1 Like

Phew… tested now with 3 known working SD’s and in the end its all the same… no matter if I run directly from the Retroarch, from commandline or using the action.config :slight_smile:

[libretro INFO] Autodetected image type 1541.
[libretro INFO] Resetting the machine to autostart '*'
[libretro INFO] `/home/cpi/games/c64/BRUCELEE.D64' recognized as disk image.
[libretro INFO] Image for autostart: '/home/cpi/games/c64/BRUCELEE.D64'
Segmentation fault

Everything else seems to work ok so I doubt that my clockwork would be broken… could you check if you run retroarch with -v what you get after the “Image for autostart” as it seems that there is where this crashes… Core works without disk but yeah… don’t know where to look next…

1 Like

Did you get to see my video in time? I had to wait for about 30 seconds which is pretty long. I’ll upload it again if you want. I’ll check and do a verbose log when I get home from work.
Meantime, which vice core are you using? I was specifically using the fast one. The accurate one could possibly be incompatible for some reason.
It shouldn’t make any difference, but I was specifying to load the zip files; and not the extracted image.

1 Like

Yep, saw the video, thanks for that. I’m using the same core, the fast and tested with accurate also but it does the same. I’ll give zip file a test but could not see how it would make any difference other than it would add small delay on the content load…

1 Like