Retropie Emulationstaion transplant

I am trying to transplant the retropie to gameshell, and i compile the code from https://github.com/RetroPie/RetroPie-Setup.git

first time i set the platform as “armv7-mali” manually. os as debian9
since define the platform “armv7-mali” .the scrip need to install “mali-fbdev”
but it going to failure.

so, second time i set the platform as “armv7”
it completed.
run emulationstation, it works
but i found the emulationstation ui and font too small .not clear like below:
IMG_1453 IMG_1456 IMG_1454 IMG_1452

I want to ask a few questions:
1:how to install the mali-400 drive and use it render ui,games
2:how to change the font size or clearer the menu ,font
anyone can help me ? or @yong give some advice about gpu drive

1 Like

@hal @yong @aewens @Godzil

@GoldenAgeNerd What is this about??

1 Like

i just tagged you as well as others in hopes that you might be able to answer @littlehui 's question

Current OS version does not (yet) include the Mali drivers as they do not yet support the SOC used. There was someone on another thread who offered to help on that as soon as he received his gameshell. Not sure if he has yet.

There are in fact Mali drivers for this SoC. The problem is the stock image doesn’t have them for some reason even though AFAIK those are in the mainline kernel already.

@hal told me they would open source the boot loader soon (although it’s been like a month already)

Hmmm ok, i missed that one. Thanks for clarifying and fingers crossed @hal and @yong will give us access to the bootloader…

I came here today to post asking if this was possible. Glad to see someone else have the same idea.

1 Like

Hello there !

Sounds very nice.

What do you mean exactly by “it works” ? Retropie is fully runnable ? You can play games by emulators ?

What the difference between armv7-mali and armv7 and what are the impacts in terms of performances ?

Thanks !

wow~did it play now?

i haven’t got my GS, but i reckon you can change the theme to something works better with smaller screen.

Would be great to get some progress on this. Retropie is best.

I also would like to see some updates to this. I have been toying around and the only platforms that can be set for armv7 is:

sudo __platform=armv7-mali ~/RetroPie-Setup/retropie_setup.sh

There does not appear to be any ability to just set the platform to armv7.

Anyone have any insight on how to install or load Mail drivers to the Gameshell so that the armv7-mali option might work? I can find drivers for mali all over I just am not familiar on how to install the drivers. Not a super Linux nerd yet.

Wait until some more work goes into 0.3

2 Likes

Hi @littlehui,

I try to do compile Retropie me too, but I don’t understand how.

Could you be more precise about the procedure you follow please ?

When I try for example to run the RetropieSetup.sh script it tells me that the file does not exist … Yet I am at the right place.

Can you help me ?

Thanks

Sorry if this is not helpful, but make sure to specify the path not just the file name. It also wants to be run with sudo in front of it. For example sudo ~/RetroPie-Setup/retropie_setup.sh.

This worked for me at least. I did not run it with any platform specified and it seems to install ok at first. Emulationstation can be run by adding a menu item in launcher that calls “emulationstation”.

Unfortunately the runcommand hangs on the cpi “loading…” screen every time it is invoked from within Emulationstation. Has anyone else run into this problem?

When I changed the Emulationstation es_systems.cfg file to call Retroarch directly as described in the awesome wiki https://github.com/clockworkpi/GameShellDocs/wiki/Install-Emulationstation-on-Gameshell it works to run games. Although this in itself is great, I would love to understand why the runcommand does not work.

Upon further investigation the issue does not even seem specific to the retropie runcommand. Calling retropie_setup.sh directly from Emulationstation hangs. Wait it even hangs on the loading screen when called directly from GameShell launcher! It seems that anything that tries to bring up the terminal style “windows” used in retropie_setup.sh brings up the GameShell “loading…” screen instead. Can anyone shed light on why this is happening and how to avoid it?

Thanks!

1 Like

Thanks ! I wrote it :wink:

1 Like