The D.E.O.T. Edition GameShell Is Coming As Well AS 2019Q3 Game Jam

They’re just edge lord faux hacker screens. Nothing you’re really missing out on. As far as I can tell, all the text is basically drawn in the screens. So I mean, I could fiddle and get an english translation? But probably isn’t really worth it to be honest.

In other news, I’ve fiddled with my custom image for about a week. Got it to a “useable” standard.

1. DEOT 1.0 installed, with the launcher switcher as listed above.
  2. Global Volume (not brightness) installed - stepping changed to 4 from 10.
  3. Mupen64+ installed as per the this forum’s thread.
  4. Retroarch 1.7.9 installed. Decided to change the default Retroarch Menu to the GLes one, as it had far less compatibility problems compared to XMB switching drivers, and is still fast yet prettier than RGUI. Haven’t bothered setting up the MAME Directional keys. Didn’t get time to test it/redownload BIOSes. I did however reconfigure the Cave Story default key set to be far more friendly for non light key users.
  5. Doom, Hexen, Heretic and Strife action files created, with basic input configuration set for non lighter users. (you can change it via the config within the system) It’s found in Play>Misc>ChocoDM and Heretic. (You can use the ChocoDM wrapper to run most of the WAD files. Heretic, Hexen and Strife use a separate one, and is found in the Heretic folder. (couldn’t think of something better to name it)
  6. I didn’t bother commenting out the launcher update scripts, or changing to Launcher Go; again to maintain as much authenticity to the original image. Stock DEOT OS 1.0 has however been updated to the latest version as of 18/10/19. Basically, just don’t be silly and try to update the launcher unless you know how to fix it up. In short, it’s an absolute pain to update anything other than the stock DEOT OS. You can kinda get away with the stock DEOT OS, just having to change two files. Lets cross that bridge when it happens.
  7. I didn’t bother doing a backup of a clean DEOT OS launcher. I did a test deliberately breaking the launcher boot sequence, and tried to restore it with a folder backup/restore via SSH. It did nothing. So I removed the backup to save space. I have however kept a backup of the stock Retroarch 1.7.6 in case you’re not happy with 1.7.9 and want to change it back. (found in .config/retroarch.original
  8. In addition, I’ve restored the Utilities folder that was removed from DEOT OS from some reason. You can now use DingUX Commander and Bean. I also added my own tiny script to empty the mail box, in case you don’t like seeing the “You’ve got mail” notification upon booting up.

Some side notes:
Retroarch wise, it’s just as unstable as ever using Lima drivers with 1.7.9, so just use the FBTurbo software driver.
Realistically, nothing in retroarch benefits that much from using Lima. Mupen 64+ does though. That’s set up using the settings as per the thread in the forums. I’ve only tested it with Banjo Kazooie.
Some of the icons aren’t there for emulators. I was going to include a custom skin with some things added, but changed my mind; trying to keep this as much a clean image as possible.

It’s a 4GB compresses bzip file. Decompress it (16GB) before burning the img file fo an SD card. You’ll need at least a 16GB SD card; just like the stock DEOT OS image. You can expand it to take up space on a larger card using the regular means. I didn’t use a script in this, since I’m only using 16GB SD cards to test, but could do so in a future version if needed.

Here’s the link. It is live.
Let me know how it goes.
(ah crud! Just burnt a copy to test, and just noticed two BIOS files still present, and a stray WAD file! Argh! I’ll deal with that in a few days)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/coy90358963ge9a/deot_v1%2B%2020191019.img.bz2?dl=0

I have made a new thread to continue discussions regarding this here: