Uconsole pre order!

I really liked the metal body and the keyboard’s backlight. I’ll probably not buy this one since I already have the DevTerm (BUT I’M TEMPTED). That being said, I have some concerns:

1. I don’t understand the reason to have a second headphone jack “for stand-alone analog voice function”. Is it used exclusively to make phone calls?

2. The trackball driver implementation of the new keyboard (here, I assume) is the same as DevTerm’s bigger keyboard (here), so we should expect the same kind of buggy cursor movement. I looked into this issue on this post (sorry, I didn’t have time to do a proper binary release of the modified firmware), and it seems to be a hardware issue as well (the chosen pinout of the Arduino doesn’t have hardware support for hall-sensor encoders).

3 Likes

Would the CM4 play 720 resolution videos ok or should I get the A06? I’m
Guessing battery life is a few hours? I’m very close to clicking the preorder button.

2 Likes

This sounds interesting. Maybe it could be used as an antenna input or something like the iPod nano used to do when those things still existed.

2 Likes

I am curious about the phone call functionality as well. Does the 4g expansion module support it?

1 Like

very true, glad the price is not as high as the devterm.

Also, the aluminum shell is amazing to look at.

1 Like

Also, the aluminum shell is amazing to look at.

Aluminum?

1 Like

just double-checked, it is all metal construction. I assume that should be aluminum.

3 Likes

Instabuy for me. CM4 version. I’ll likely just use it as a physical fantasy console for TIC-80 development and fun.

3 Likes

What about CM4 modules with MMC? Do they also supported?

Just ordered this puppy (the CM4 variant)… I brings back real nostalgia for me, as soon as I saw it, it took me back to Ye Olden Days and my first real sorta “smartphone” the Compaq iPaq 6515…

It will go into the stable along with the SEEED reTerminal and the Biqu Rasberry Pad 5

hp-ipaq-hw-6515-gsm-gps

2 Likes

Not gonna lie, we have almost achieved the Blackberry Passport level here.
Too bad, just almost.

3 Likes

You may need to get a separate carrier board so you can set the CM4 with MMC up… The setup usually requires a switch setting to allow you set to BOOT mode then USB to OTG mode to flash the MMC. Ask ClockworkPi they should have an answer.

1 Like

I was wondering about this as well. I think there’s a reason they don’t have the eMMC version to buy. On the Raspberry Carrier board, to flash the chip, it needs to have some jumpers set to force it to not boot from the chip, and needs to be plugged into a PC via a secondary USB port, while getting power via another USB port or directly to the carrier board IO. Maybe the carrier board the uConsole uses doesn’t have one or more of those. I’m guessing if you buy your own Carrier board and flashed it, it would work fine?

1 Like

I am so looking forward to seeing if this will be a sound option for a portable Kali pen testing device. The one niggle is that they only expose one USB port and that’s a USB 2.0 as the USB-C seems to only be for power.

Should work using another carrier board, I’ll try it with the MMC I have on either my Biqu Raspberry Pad 5 or my SEEED reTerminal and see how it goes… In 60-90 days time… :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Thanks! I’ve ordered one without the core, if you and others have no luck I can order a Lite. :smile:

I noticed it says “Requires GPS antenna for GPS function.” Might make a fun Geocaching machine. I wonder what type of GPS antenna it needs.

Is the uConsole gonna be able to handle more load than the Devterm? It usually crashes with A06’s all cores enabled on battery.

Also, what about temperature? I can’t play games on A06 without a fan. Is the metal case gonna play an role in that?

1 Like

I second the concern about game buttons, and it goes back to the Gameshell for me unfortunately, especially the d-pad. It was a rough pill to swallow to find out that the buttons on the Gameshell aren’t up to snuff for fighting games or others that need physical support in buttons to ensure clean presses, or at least some stabilization to prevent things like diagonal pressure leading to non-presses. If the uConsole doesn’t improve on that (it would be as easy as opening up any popular old handheld and seeing how it guarantees button stability) then it relegates it to a dev machine only for me, and I probably won’t be interested (I’d probably just lug a laptop around instead). I’m not really comfortable pre-ordering for that single reason too.

Ahhh, I miss these!! I liked when phones had physical keyboards, which is basically why the uConsole interests me anyways. It totally feels retro like the DevTerm, which I assume was designed after the Radioshack TRS-80 Model 100.

1 Like

Just preordered mine, not sure when the item is supposed to ship. I have been on the market for something similar/smaller to the dev-terminal. This definitely fits the bill for me. I absolutely love the GameShell.

I am very much interested in developing data-capturing applications, such as logging the different wifi and Bluetooth devices in a particular area, etc… This should be a fun ride. I really like ClockworkPi!

1 Like