Custom D.E.O.T. V2.0+/Clockwork OS v0.5 image - With customised DEOT interface, Kernel 5.7, Optional 1400MHz OC, Debian 10 Buster, Retroarch 1.9.0, Mupen64+ plus more! (Current build: 200903)

Ok I did flash it twice, same thing, sorry about my bad explantion about what was happening in the image.

Image name: deot_v2+ 200323.img.bz2

I put some pictures, and the last line -bash: /tmp/X.log: Read-only file system, goes on and on…

Just rest, tomorrow will be another day hehe, you already do some hard work with it, you don’t have to stay up to solve this now :slight_smile:

1 Like

Another thought! You may have downloaded a partially uploaded file. Uploading takes an eternity in Australia. That said, it probably wouldn’t have decompressed properly if it was incomplete or corrupted. My guess is, something went wrong when I wrote the image.

This is getting exciting!

On a side note, there’s a bit of extra flash plastic on your d-pad. You’ll get less clicking if you sand it off. :wink:
(It’s messing with my ocd hahaha!!)

not sure if this has come up, on this build I loose wifi, as in I get wifi when I set up, but a day later when I turn it on it cant see wifi at all (but my old sd loadout works fine)

On this build? As in the 200323? Have you gotten it to work? Unless you’re meaning an older one, since you mentioned leaving it for a day and then having it fix itself.

There have been quite a few cases of wifi dropouts, separate from the custom image. It seems that it’s just a very fragile flaky part of the console. There was a thread showing the tiny ceramic antenna, and a hard fix to improve this. There are also a lot of other threads simply documenting the wifi dropping out. It can be due to far too many factors, no doubt separate from the image.

Re: wifi drivers etc, that would no doubt be kernel dependent. I’m not the maintainer of the kernel, so can’t really comment on it, other than to say that the most recent build contains the original 5.3.6 kernel which the stock 0.5 image uses. If you’re having trouble with wifi, try using that.

The kernel option in the current build is the one here:

It’s by the same coder as the stock 5.3.6 kernel, so I thought it a good spiritual successor candidate.

Initially I did write my own kernel while mucking around with optimisations; including some extra governors, sensors, usb otg etc. I decided against including it, since it might cause more problems.

Anyway in short, try changing the kernel via the utility included.

i will, its not tje 323 build, the one before it

Incoming new image being uploaded. I also removed all of the old images from my google drive, so as to not cause any confusion about which version to download. I will upload it to a mega upload soon.
Edit: The Mega link is now in the first post.

Last night, I made the image and uploaded via my macbook pro in Mac OS. It shouldn’t have been a problem, but regardless, I’ve made it “properly” from a debian machine, zeroed the empty space, and made the image filesystem self expanding.

It should be about 2GB compressed. As usual, decompress it (it should be about 6.4GB) then write it to your SD as per normal.

I’ve maintained the same build number, 200323. Assuming that the 200323 never worked for anyone, it shouldn’t be a versioning problem, since the only change is the above zeroing and filesystem expansion. (and I just like the way 323 rolls off my tongue :P)

I am yet to actually test writing it to an SD card. I will do that after I’ve finished uploading the image. It “should” work, but that’s what I thought Re: my initial upload.
Edit: I’ve tested it. It works for me on a fresh card. Let me re-iterate that you will need to let it sit there doing its “thing” for about 60 seconds on the initial boot up. It’s doing a file system expand. Unfortunately there’s no verbose printout on the screen. May I also recommend that you have it plugged into power, in case there is a power failure while it’s happening.

Fwiw, I wrote it to my SD card using dd as follows:

sudo dd if=deot.img of=/dev/sda bs=1M

I’m so very sorry for all of the lost time people had trying this! Good luck with this current build!

1 Like

I flashed this image and everything is just fine. Again, thanks for your work :smiley:

1 Like

THANK GOODNESS! I was dreading hearing back from a post saying that this one was flickering, or showing some other error! Thank you so much for letting me know!

FYI, since you’re interested in Kernel development, you will need to manually change your kernel to one of the different ones. I’ve provided a bunch for you to mess around with. The 5.5.9 one in particular has a few extra CPU governors which I was messing with. Initially I was going to put a 5.5.11 one to mess with, but when compiling it yesterday, i forgot to enable sound. Oops!

OK it’s great, thanks, now it’s working, the only thing that is not working, is Blood hehe

I did this: https://gitlab.com/Oet/nblood/-/tags/v1.21gameshell

And this time it’s not working, can you know why?

1 Like

No screen flickering in latest DEOT build.
Thank you for your effort. :+1:

1 Like

Thanks so much for reporting back @jarze! Hopefully this will be a good check point image to sit on for a while.

The only other thing I would have liked do have updated was Retroarch to 1.8.5, but that would be something I’d prefer to thoroughly test before making live.

@jimfaker From memory, wasn’t Shadow Warrior and Blood two games that needed for be set to the Fbturbo drivers? And on that note, I actually forgot to test fbturbo on the latest images, since I was so caught up doing other things! I forgot some things didn’t work with Lima.

Getting Shadow Warrior and Blood to work with Lima would be another fun thing to work out for sure. For now, try running the overclock script. That should pump out a 40% increase in performance. It scales pretty well for CPU intensive applications.

Also, reading the notes there’s mention of midi buffer under runs. The good news is, I no longer experience buffer under runs with audio in other applications that used to, ie duke nukem, some Mame games and pretty much anything with extended synchronised audio. Try one of the other kernels. 5.4.24 seems to be a good bet, and hopefully shouldn’t have flickering. 5.5.90 will have a few extra tweaks, possibly at the expense of flickering. Let me know your results.

Indeed Shadow Warrior and Blood don’t work on Lima, but I’ve changed it to fbturbo and Shadow Warrior worked. But Blood, is in black screen 3 seconds or so, and goes back to the “desktop”.

I tried all the kernels and just the first one (5306) doesn’t have the flickering, all the others flickering time hehe. Also I tried Blood on all of them and is a no go. :frowning:

Any clue what could it be?

I’ve not ever installed it, but looking at the installation process, you’re initially downloading a zip file, and just decompressing it. Unlike a tarball, permission and executable bits aren’t retained.
Following the instructions, it looks like the nblood file has 644 permissions, and not the 755 permissions with an executable bit. That may be the first tell tale sign. You’ll need to change the mode of the file with chmod +x. Returning to the launcher (I think this is what you meant, re: desktop?) Usually is a telltale sign that something didn’t run properly.
Likewise, it doesn’t look like the launch script; Blood.sh has any mention of changes to the mode. You’d most likely have to apply the executable bit with chmod +x again.
I don’t actually know for certain if this will actually work. I’m just guessing here. But do let me know if it does! Did it ever work? The instructions seem to be incomplete, and assume that you know to chmod +x the aforementioned files.
I’ll give it a try if I have time. :slight_smile:
Let me know if you want me to write up a small script or anything. It’s fairly straight forward, but eh; I’m here to help :slight_smile:

ok, well I do need your help for that :slight_smile: please, can you give what I do have to write in the console with putty? Don’t know how to apply chmod + x on a file :pleading_face:

And yes returning to the launcher I meant with “desktop” :grimacing:

No worries. Not technically related to the point of the post, but I am curious to see if something doesn’t run on the the 200323 build.

Assuming you’ve already downloaded the zip file, and moved the files to the games directory,

chmod +x /home/cpi/games/Blood/nblood

That will take care of the main nblood file.

Do the same thing with the launch script:

chmod +x /home/cpi/apps/Menu/Blood/Blood.sh

That should do it! :slight_smile:

Thanks, I just did it, but still the same :sweat:

Were there any error messages between the chmods? Also, have you restarted, or at least reloaded the UI?

No messages after doing the two chmod and also I reloaded the UI and restarted, and the same.

Hmm. Try doing this from a command line:

export DISPLAY=:0
cd /home/cpi/apps/Menu/Blood
./Blood.sh

See what kind of output that generates.

Also, double check to see if all of the files are there.

BLOOD.INI BLOOD.RFF GUI.RFF SOUNDS.RFF SURFACE.DAT TILES000.ART TILES001.ART TILES002.ART TILES003.ART TILES004.ART TILES005.ART TILES006.ART TILES007.ART TILES008.ART TILES009.ART TILES010.ART TILES011.ART TILES012.ART TILES013.ART TILES014.ART TILES015.ART TILES016.ART TILES017.ART VOXEL.DAT

I do have all those files.

I’m trying to do what you said…but:

imagen

I do have the directory:
imagen