Custom D.E.O.T. V2.0+/Clockwork OS v0.5 image - With customised DEOT interface, Kernel 5.7, Optional 1400MHz OC, Debian 10 Buster, Retroarch 1.9.0, Mupen64+ plus more! (Current build: 200903)

Good news! You can recover it yourself, in Utils>Retroarch>Recover :smiley:
I figured this was going to be a thing, so put a built in recovery. This is also a great way to test to see if it works for others. Let me know how it goes.

(Don’t accidentally do update - you’ll be sitting there on a blank screen for over an hour, while it reinstalls EVERYTHING - that said, once retroarch does update, it’ll be a good thing to do)

Re: sound glitches, try using the different kernels/clock speeds. In particular in MAME/FBA, I could actually play games without the sound being horrible doing this.

2 Likes

Okay so I did a little digging and it ends in .gba and it does not read the file but, it is in a zipped folder you think I should in zip it? The folder it is in is GBA but not the file itself. With that being said, I will try to see what else I may have done wrong however, after you told me the post-install instructions were out dated I have not proceeded with anything with out further instructions

The post install instructions should still be valid. I’m not sure where I might have said that they weren’t. The only thing I was going to do in a future release was perhaps change the action.config file to read both lower case and upper case extensions. However this is no longer necessary, since we’ve found out that your file ends with .gba and not .GBA. I’m assuming that this is the case, although you’ve used both gba and GBA in your post above, so I’m not 100% certain.

Okay, now you said that it’s in a “zipped folder”
I need you to be 100% certain with what you’re saying here. Can you please provide a screen shot?

A zipped folder would mean that within the .zip compressed archive, there would be a directory. Within this directory, there would be a rom file, eg. zelda.gba. Is this what you mean?
Or are you calling the compressed archive a folder, because on your computer you open it up like a folder?

I… actually have no idea what you’re trying to explain here. The folder, as in the compressed archive? Or … an empty folder?

Right. So now I see why .zip and .7z files weren’t originally included as file types in the stock image. There are a lot of assumptions about how the compressed archives are treated.

Say you download a romset. A lot of the time, it would include EVERY version of a specific game. That could be an archive with multiple languages, and revisions of the same game. The way that these are handled is simply loading the first game it sees in the archive. Fairly crude, but effective.

This is assuming that within the archive, the rom files are sitting in the root directory, with no subdirectories within. Some places where you may source your roms may also include other junk within the compressed archive, such as readme files, weird banners/advertising, info files etc. They shouldn’t interfere, but sometimes can.

For now, the best thing to do would be to NOT use compressed archives, like zips, 7z, rar or whatever; simply because I have no idea what format your files are in/directory structures.

Decompress the .zip file, and copy zelda.gba or whatever rom you’re using to the directory /home/cpi/games/GBA/

Use an emulator that has a GBA as the icon. If you use one with a GBC, it won’t run, because those are looking for games in the GB directory; not the GBA directory, where you put your rom.

If you could actually provide a screen shot, that would be extremely helpful with troubleshooting your problem. This sounds like it’s a problem that not with the DEOT image, but with knowing how to use the gameshell in general. If you have more problems after this, perhaps it might be a good idea to start a new thread.

Also, have a look at this post, and see if you can answer as many of the questions here as possible:

Another thing. I notice that there a few typos when you specify things. Eg.

It should be /home/cpi/games/GBA/ taking note of the capitalisation. I know what you probably meant, but these kind of mistakes are the differences between your game running and just returning to the launcher. I really need to know precisely what file names and extensions you’re dealing with, along with any other changes you may have made.

@jimfaker had the best intentions with his response, but for now let’s just keep it simple and not get confused by his response. It’s not actually necessary; just a personal choice he decided to undertake.

I’m still trying to make sense of your post. Did you mean to say “should I unzip it?” Ie, decompress the archive?
I’m just going back and reading all of your posts trying to find out where you’re at, what you have and what you’ve done.

What I can gather is that you have a .zip compressed archive.
This archive is currently in the /home/cpi/games/GBA/ directory.
Within this archive is another folder.
Inside this folder is the rom file, zelda.gba.
The extension of the rom is .gba, and definitely not .GBA

I’ve asked you to decompress the archive on your computer, and then transfer it to the /home/cpi/games/GBA/ directory.

As far as I know you haven’t told me which emulator you’re trying to use to run this game.

I also don’t know whether or not you’ve gotten any other games to work. Or better yet, If you have tried downloading your game from another source. It could be a corrupted download. Try doing that.

Sorry if I’ve repeated myself. I’m just trying to make sense of all of this.

Edit:
Right. Now I see why you thought I said stuff re: outdated info. I lost track of who I was dealing with, since you posted in a different thread, DM’d me, and now are referring to things I said there. I was referring to information that was over a year old. That’s out of date. The post install instructions are from the beginning of the year, after the clockwork OS v0.5 dropped. It’s also maintained by me, and kept up to date with whatever build I’ve currently releases. I use the first post as the first point of call when downloading and setting up the image.

1 Like

Sent you a message, but no matter what I do, I cant get GBA roms to show up in the new image from my android phone FTP.

1 Like

Argh the sounds like the same problem as the person above you!
You mention you sent it via FTP. Did you mean SSH? FTP might be able to send it, since I have seen that the gameshell does appear on my computer’s network, although I thought that was via samba. I never used it, since what I see is limited, and I’m usually needing to edit far more files than just the games/music.

I’m going to flash a fresh copy of this exact DEOT image to a SD card, load a GBA game and see if I can replicate any of the above problems.

You said you DM’s me, although that was about N64 games, and then you said you got it working. Mmm, if possible can you either DM or reply in the forums? It gets confusing trying to keep track of where you’re up to, unless you’re updating both. Also, you’re mentioning two different problems here. And argh you’ve just replied to the DM about N64 roms about GBA roms!

Cross posting is bad. Very bad. It just slows down responding, and confuses me to no end. Please just choose one way of communicating, and keep one topic of conversation relevant to one topic. I’m going to continue talking about GBA in this thread. Please stop talking about GBA stuff in your DM, and just continue talking about your N64 problems.

For now, basically follow the instructions of my two posts above. Have you read them, or did you just post your problem as soon as you had it, without reading any posts first?

Apologies, I get scatter brained… Lets solve one at a time. I read the posts above, and I think I understand. I have yet to make any changes to code, as I am brand new to this kind of programming and dont want to cause problems via imcompetence.

You shouldn’t need go make any changes to the code. Please just disregard what jimfaker said above re; changing things. You simply don’t need to with this image. If there was a need, I would have done so already.

Yup, I get ya re, being scatter brained. This is 100% my brain, officially medically diagnosed. That’s why I get thrown off and overwhelmed when I don’t have everything lined up and perfectly in place. I’m not familiar with this stuff either. It’s just a learning process.

The only thing you need to be able to do at this stage is follow instructions. And I mean, actually do what I say, and not deviate and try something different. And try and answer as many of the things I ask.

I just wrote a fresh image to a new SD card.
The rom I am experimenting with is one called Mother3.gba. This is exactly what the file is called. It’s not in a compressed archive, or a zip file or anything. It is exactly that: Mother3.gba.
I have transferred the file via SSH. Not FTP. I have no idea how you’re doing it from your phone. I suggest using a computer.
I am using my MacBook computer to transfer the file via a program called CyberDuck. As long as you’re using port 22, it should be transferring via SSH.
I have copied the rom to the directory ~/games/GBA/
The emulators I am running are gpsp and gpsp+. The former is a Retroarch core. The latter is a standalone. They both work fine.

I really want to know what you guys have done so differently to make you have such similar problems. This custom image hasn’t been drastically changed. Anything that runs on a stock 0.5 image should run on this one too.

okay so I finally got it to work but, i have to boot up thru retroarch is that normal? also the file is fine it works on other programs on my PC and just in case it was not on the game shell i re-uploaded it to make sure and it is stable. If this is not how you intended it to work maybe it is just me coding is something i am not entirely proficient at but i am fairly competent so if there is something else i am missing point me in the right direction and i will do my best to make it happen.

I opened up the gameshell on my computer via filezilla, the roms once again show in the GBA folder, but not in the gameshell image itself. I am going to reload them via my computer. does it help to know that my standalone menu shows gpsp not gpsp+?

photo shows a .zip copy of Pokemon emerald, in the cpi/games/GBA folder, but not showing in the image.

It does show in RetroArch, but not the standalone

gpsp is the gpsp core that runs via retroarch.
gpsp+ is the gpsp standalone emulator, that doesn’t run via retroarch. You have the choice of either one.

gpsp that runs through retroarch generally has more features, shaders, borders, and tweaks you can do, including cheats, achievements through cheevos and generally a lot more feature packed.

gpsp+ is for running games that don’t run as fast on the gpsp retroarch core. It also drains a bit more battery, so I’d probably recommend the former, unless you really are having issues with frame rates etc.

@Silderl - I really need to know what it is that you’re doing. Are you running retroarch first, then selecting the rom through the load content menu? Which core are you using via retroarch?
Or do you mean that you’re running the gpsp emulator, which uses retroarch? Note I said gpsp, and not gpsp+. You are trying to use gpsp right? And not trying to use mgba to play gba roms? I have mentioned this in a few posts already, but I haven’t currently got it configured to use mgba to run gba games. Yes, despite it having gba in its name, I’m not using mgba for that. gpsp is just better in general for gba. I use mgba for gbc and gb emulation more, and recommend you do the same.

I guess I just need you to tell me what you’re doing a bit clearer, and what your file formats are, and well EVERYTHING I asked. At the moment, you’re never actually answering any of my questions; and instead just saying “okay, I’ve got something working doing something completely different that you haven’t suggested.” Please. You need to work with me, if you want help.

Thanks for the screen shot… but you’ve kind of cut off the most important part, ie the extension of the file, the contents of the file and god, it’s blurry and hard to read!

Also, you can edit your posts, so you don’t have multiple posts in a row. Just thought I’d let you know. This isn’t an instant messenger style chat, and boy does this get cluttered fast! It also makes it harder to respond to, having to scroll up and down between different responses. You’ve done 3 in a row. Help.

Try pushing X on your gameshell btw.

Again, with your case, I don’t know if you’re referring to the game appearing in retroarch via the load content dialogue menu, or trying to browse using the launcher, using gpsp; which is a retroarch core.

I’m gonna say it. Have you tried turning it off and on again?

Okay and this is what I have going on right now yes I am trying to use gpsp+that’s all I’ve been trying to do is use the regular loadout emulators as if it was standard clockwork setup but, I found from what you said last just as you said in your comment right now that gpsp runs via retroarch and as long as I can do that I can play the games that I want to play and that’s all I have been trying to do.
simply put you have been a great help I apologize for never answering your questions I felt like I had in my head but when I’m panicking about something trying to get something done I tend to let my mind run and not stop to write down everything so I am taking the time to contemplate everything that’s going on.
So this is where we are at I have the ability to play my game boy advance games and Gameboy color games that’s all I have been trying to do and I finally got your setup working but gpsp+ does not recognize the files . That’s when you told me to check the file suffix to see if it was .GBA or.gba because there’s a difference in file suffix and then you also asked me for the directory line i e home/CPI/apps /emulators etc.
So I was telling you that the capital GBA came from the file directory however I realize now that I wasn’t clear when I said that and for that I also apologize. now to reiterate my only problem is that I cannot get them like the gentleman up above to show up in the Gpsp+ folder. however as long as I’m still able to play them and I just have to use retroarch my problem is in my mind solved.
I thank you for your time I apologize for being so incoherent and honestly I feel like I’ve been nothing but a burden on you and I apologize extremely for that too because I know you’re just trying to help and I’m not making it easy. please forgive me and understand that I am deeply appreciative of the time and effort you went through to try and help me. But as of now I feel content with using retroarch to play the emulators.

In RetroArch, it shows when I select it via the load content option, and suggests the GPSP emulator. the file is in the games/GBA folder. It contains a .zip of the USA version of Pokemon Emerald. In further testing, inside retroarch it works just fine. It does not however, show up in the standalone menu, I did try pressing X to scan, and it didnt happen, but I will reboot it just to be sure.

Upon rebooting, I discover the same, the content is accessible via RetroArch, and plays. but is not showing in the stand alones.

I only mention this because I have a hunch the 2 are connected somehow, the Zelda .zip rom /home/cpi/games/N64 shows in the stand alone, but crashes. Yet, the N64 emulator is not available in the RetroArch core list.

@Silderl Hey, if you can provide a screen shot of where you’ve put the files, and what the files look like; not cutting off the extension like the user above, that can help me help you.
Right now, you’re typing in everything, and unfortunately each time you do it, you’re actually making typos, eg.

There’s a space after apps. That makes a HUGE difference. You need to be very exact and precise with everything and as it stands I’m not sure if what you’re telling me is actually what you have.

The reason you can see and run it in retroarch is that you’re loading a file you’re deliberately pointing to.

You still haven’t exactly answered my question re: whether or not you were using retroarch, or using the retroarch gpsp launcher item. This is a big difference, and something I need to look into if people are having problems.

Don’t worry about being a burden. It’s more, communication that gets the better of me. I’m not the best either, so that makes it even harder. Basically, I’m trying to see what you have, and then give advice. The problem is, you’re jumping the gun, and trying different things before we have addressed the problems at hand. It’s a logistical nightmare! haha. But if you’re happy with it as it is, then godspeed my friend!

RIGHT! Now I’ve got you! That was the crucial bit of information I needed, and what was cut off from your … err screen shot. Literal screen shot lol.

So since you’re using a .zip file, it’s not currently configured to accept zip files in the standalone emulators, since I’ve had problems using them in the past with compatibility, incorrect versions being selected etc. In retroarch, you get the choice of browsing within the compressed archive, and selecting the exact rom you want; much like a folder.
With gpsp+ standalone, it only goes for the first ROM. This is a problem, seeing as a lot of rom packs have multiple languages. From memory, I think pokemon emerald defaults to a spanish version. Great if you speak spanish. Not so great if you don’t.
Worse still, some NES rom sets include some user mods. This annoyed me, seeing as the mega man 3 rom had a custom version with lots of drug use and sex reference that just detracted from the game, and was kinda crappy.

Eg, here is the action.config for gpsp+

ROM=/home/cpi/games/GBA
ROM_SO=/home/cpi/apps/emulators/gpsp
EXT=gba,bin
LAUNCHER=
TITLE=gpsp Roms
SO_URL=https://github.com/cuu/emulators/raw/master/gpsp.zip

Notice in the EXT portion, it only lists gba,bin? They are the only file types that will appear in the list for gpsp+ and what is seen in the default vanilla clockwork OS 0.5. The fact that the retroarch gpsp can read zips and 7z files is due to a modification I made to the action.config file to allow it to do so.

You can modify this file located in /home/cpi/apps/Menu/20_Retro Games/34_gpsp+/action.config to contain extra formats if you wish. Like I said, I only use gpsp+ for games I’m definitely having problems with running via retroarch. In these cases ,I will decompress the file, and just have the game.gba file in the GBA rom folder. Or even if I want to have a narrowed down selection of games I actually “like”.

That way, despite it using the same GBA directory, you can have i so that gpsp+ only sees certain files that you have chosen for it to see. It’s definitely more a useful thing if you’ve got entire rom sets saved to your gameshell, and don’t want to have to spend forever scrolling to the bottom of the list, just to access the Z section for zelda.

okay this is where I have been putting my ROMs I unzip them as you can plainly see and honestly I’m good with using retroarch but, I might just be stupid and not be able to find it or, figure it out via the stand-alone emulators but, again, now that I know that I could use retroarch to play the games I personally am satisfied. That’s all I really wanted out of this device and at a later time maybe, I’ll feel a little bit gutsy and I’ll start trying to maneuver my way around it but until then if this screenshot helps let me know if not then I say it’s fine. And yes I am using retroarch to play via Gpsp but, originally when I posed the question I was trying to play via Gpsp+

1 Like

Someone correct me if I’m wrong but I think we need to put .gba files directly in /home/cpi/games/GBA folder. I never tried but GameShell launcher might not scan subfolders.

1 Like