Custom D.E.O.T. V2.0+/Clockwork OS v0.5 image - With customised DEOT interface, Kernel 5.7, Optional 1400MHz OC, Debian 10 Buster, Retroarch 1.9.0, Mupen64+ plus more! (Current build: 200903)

Yup! That’s 100% correct. Unfortunately it doesn’t do subdirectories using the action.config files.
@Silderl Your screen shot helped solve all the problems you were having. Thank for doing this! Don’t use folders or compressed archives for gpsp+.
And thanks @i4s33u for responding to this so succinctly!

You can do subdirectories if you do individual scripts to run each game, but 1) it will appear as icons and not a list and 2) god it takes a long time to do it for each game; even scripting the process. On the positive side, you can make individual icons for each game!
I could potentially add a “pokemon” game selector addon that is scripted to play the rom with the correct emulator etc, including subdirectories with each “generation” containing individual Roms. But that’s probably more of a personal touch thing. I mean, I’ll do it if anyone actually wants it. Just, it’s not my cup of tea.

I’m going to add to my todo list

1. Edit the instructions to explicitly say to not use folders or compressed archives for standalone emulators.
  2. Change the action.config file to read compressed archives, even for standalone emulators to avoid mass confusion like above again.
  3. Provide explicit instruction on PlayStation files, directory structure, cue files and the generation thereof, how they work re: audio tracks, using custom images for custom music, bios recommendations and basically a whole lot of other stuff that I cannot assume people just know. In fact, it might be worthwhile just to start a new thread and link it.
  4. Alter mupen64plus to include the 4MB expansion pack for DK64 compatibility.
  5. Put a huge caveat to basically not use compressed archives, and if you do, just really understand what you’re doing.
  6. Update the pico-8 installer fo be compatible with the newest version, and ensure it still works.
  7. Change keyboard font to accomodate using symbols such as @ and other characters.

Again, the idea of this custom image was to make the Gameshell as beginner friendly as possible. I actually thank both of you, @Silderl and @jonescuatro296 for showing me the exact problems you were having. It was great going through your exact mental process so I can understand how a new user to the strange gameshell file structure may think, and assume it works. There absolutely no instructions telling anyone this. I can understand your frustration!

1 Like

@javelinface thank you so much for your patience and support. I finally understand how to make it run and it now runs perfect.

1 Like

@javelinface I just updated to your newest DEOT version. It seems my pico-8 isnt working. I put the zip file into the games/pico8 but the gameshell says it can’t find it. Any ideas?

1 Like

Try running it without the pico-8 files there first. Then move the pico-8 files in.
Which version of pico-8 is it? There was a new one released a week or so ago which doesn’t line up with what version the checker is expecting, and therefore won’t have a matching md5 code to check against. See here For now, if you just put it in, and then ignore the md5 check, it should work.

There is also a small bug in the code of the installer where the buttons it tells you to push to install it are reversed if you’re using the SNES layout; which this image does by default.

That’s something I can also add to the todo list! Update the pico-8 installed. Although that’s probably something that should be updated on the official release too. @guu @hal @yong @veronica - are you the ones who I should be contacting to ask to have these things included?

Absolutely no worries! It makes me happy to know that you now understand a bit more! Don’t worry about apologising. It is stressful trying to learn all of this, and you were never once rude or disrespectful. I just got very flustered too! I am a very confused jittery person. But that’s why we’ve got the gameshell to sit down and relax to ;).

1 Like

I was trying to put the brand new pico-8 version on. I might still have the correct zip file on a different microSD.

1 Like

I forgot ask, since I’m not sure of how much of that thread I linked you read; did you try renaming the compressed .zip archive to pico-8_0.1.12c2_raspi.zip, exactly as written here?
If you do, it should detect the right file. Just ignore the MD5 hash check, since obviously it will be different.
I might have a look at fixing that tonight.

I have not tried that yet. Turns out I dont have my original version. I wish they gave us the option for previous version downloads. I will try renaming the zip and let you know

1 Like

I’ve DM’d you, but also if you’ve tried renaming the latest version, try that before going with using an older file, and let me know how it goes. I just want to make sure nothing is broken.

I renamed my newest Pico-8 zip file to pico-8_0.1.12c2_raspi.zip and it fixed my issue. I was able to successfully install Pico-8 on the newest DEOT OS you released!

1 Like

Hello guys, just flashed the v0.5 last build and I ha rthe 1st issue… I can’t set up my wifi because of the keyboard. The symbol page doesn’t contain all the symbols (I.e @) that I need for my password…I can see a lot of blank spaces instead of the right symbols…

Very interesting!! I didn’t take this into consideration re: the theme!
For now, a workaround is to go into the utilities folder, and scroll to the very right to find the DEOT settings enabler/disabled app.
Disable the DEOT mode, let it reboot, and then try again, using the vanilla launcher, with stock keyboard fonts applied.
Then from here choose whether you want to go back to using DEOT mode, or try some of the other skins that are included. (Including an alternative light DEOT theme)

Thank javenlinface. I try and let you know…

Sorry man, just tried but it didn’t work. After disabling the deot mode, my console entered an infinite boot loop (start, loading page for some seconds than reboot and repeat)… What has gone wrong in your opinion? Thanks

can you go to the utitles and activate the deot again?

about the font issue, a cp command would fix

all you need is go back to the deot theme and then try run a command through the usb ethernet(assume that you connected the gameshell and pc(osx or linux ) with usb cable )

ssh cpi@192.168.10.1
cd ~/launcher
cp skin/default/truetype/VeraMono.ttf skin/DEOT/truetype/VeraMono.ttf
1 Like

Thanks man, the cp trick worked but I had to reflash the image on my SD before that.
I tried to upgrade the launcher by the online self upgrade procedure but I stucked on a “loading” screen forever…
After 20 minutes on that I tried to forcly reboot my gs but it entered on a boot loop and not showed me the launcher screen any more…
Is it possible to update the launcher on deot 0.5 based by the standard online procedure?

it is possible to do a update job but we should not

if upadting successed, the deot theme will be gone

right now we had a new lancher called launcher_deot that really included all the theme/settings done by @javelinface right now, and it will be in the next os image

https://github.com/clockworkpi/launcher_deot

with this “launcher” , updating won’t lose any deot thing

And
I don’t know why cause that 20 minutes, the only reason is maybe github is blocked

if it is possible , next time when you met the updating problem or the loading issue
try to run

cat /tmp/x.log

in gameshell
that will show why

1 Like

Thanks @guu
I haven’t tested the newest launcher updates. Theoretically, updates shouldn’t change anything unless something groundbreakingly huge has been changed. Reactivating the DEOT mode simply changes some values in the sys.py/UI directories.

I’ll have to look into it. Meantime, with current corona laws loosing in Western Australia, work is returning, but demand is increasing, so I’m going to be busy and tired out until things settle! Apologies for any delayed responses for a while; at least during the week.

1 Like

did the themes/skins get removed? i cant find it in the settings on the 4/223 image

Go into utilities, and deactivate the DEOT mode with the utility I made on the far right.
I did this to prevent people from freezing their systems, trying to use skins while I have the font mod in place.

On that note, I need to deactivate the ability to update the gameshell while in DEOT mode. DEOT mode uses custom fonts. Doing an update changes the UI files to go back to normal. This ends up breaking the skin file, which expects there to be custom fonts.

I just take it for granted that people would have the common sense to change to the stock mode before updating, but it seems as though that isn’t the case.

If you want to update the launcher, make sure you deactivate the DEOT mode first. I haven’t tested doing a launcher update myself yet, but I can’t see it being too much of a problem. The DEOT settings activator should in theory move any files that the DEOT mode needs back to their respective place.

For now, update the launcher via the settings at your own risk. I don’t recommend it yet.

Edit: I just tried updating the launcher via the settings. Even disabling the DEOT mode, it broke the launcher temporarily. It at least could be recovered via SSH via a sudo reboot

I haven’t got time to check what was changed in the latest launcher update, but unless there was some incredible groundbreaking new feature, it probably wouldn’t be worth updating. As it stands now, the DEOT image should technically have far more features than the stock 0.5 launcher, which is no doubt what is being updated.

Hmmm a lot of my optimisations are broken with the latest launcher update. The retroarch cores location is reset to the apps/emulators directory which in my opinion is extremely messy. I prefer .config/retroarch/cores.

The settings menu for the Launcher Go has also returned. This could be a problem to ever use, since I removed the launcher go directory. Reactivating the DEOT mode actually doesn’t seem to work anymore, upon performing the update.

Basically, don’t update it. Please.

Work is hitting me pretty hard right now, and weekends have been packed. I’m having a bit of time off from any major updates, and am working on getting all changes etc. up onto GitHub. It will be worth it in the long run, making updates far more feasible.

4 Likes