Custom GameShell image (v0.3) with standalone emulators

this is much needed by the community. I would love to have the arcade emulators (mame,neo-geo etc) as well in there as these tend to be the trickiest ones to setup.

Very happy with your work !!! Made life a lot easier migrating from 0.21 after a crash of my sd card. If there would be a ready build 0.4 image, I would definitely try that, but for now 0.3 does the trick. Only have to figure out how to hot bind the volume + and - in standalone emulators and how to make the emulators switch to full screen as I seem to have some cropping on for example the nes and gameboy emulators.

thanks, I want to use the 16G of the SD and I put your custom GameShell imagen (v0.3) but when try to follow your steps (instructions) to do that nothing happens. the other SD with (v0.4) is working but to run games I always through retroarch not direct emulators any advice ? please Rebusmind

Iā€™m working on an image that auto-expands like the v0.4 one from @guu, but havenā€™t had the time yet. Hopefully soon.
What does the SSH say when you run the expansion script?

Thank you for your work, i have just have the GS now and will try your custom rom, I also have another card with V0.4 and hopefully if you have some free time you can do the same with the newer rom.
thank you again and have a great day!

I use your custom image and everything is ok and With your help I can use my SD 128GB, thank you very much. I appreciate

Hi, the first time I flash your rom everthing works fine. however on another attempt to a new SD card, I run the GBA emulator before copy the BIOS file, now when I open GBA emulator it does not work but only show these picture and the loading screen of GBA,
Please could you kindly suggest any way to fix this,
Many thanks! 33%20PM
25%20PM

Hm, you are in the wrong directory. To go to the correct one, you have to select the two little arrows by pressing right, pressing the accept button and then go back until you are in the cpi directory. From there press left to select a folder and then go to games and GBA, where your roms should be located.

Have other people the same problem? I thought I had preconfigured the rom path already.

thank you for replying, I end up flash your rom again and this time I copy the Bios in before I start the emulator, it works fine now!
thank you very much for your good work!

1 Like

thank you for replying, I end up flash your rom again and this time I copy the Bios in before I start the emulator, it works fine now!
thank you very much for your good work!

1 Like

Awesome work, dude!
I tried making my GameShell work as yours, but always ran into problems. Your image works just fine, thank you very much!

Iā€™d gladly chip in a few dollars for you to keep updating your image with newer versions (although i donā€™t care much for 0.4) if it comes to that.

Cheers!

1 Like

Thatā€™s nice to hear, but Iā€™m just giving back a little for the help I got on this forum, no need to get out your wallet. :smiley:
Hopefully, now that the Game Jam is over, Iā€™ll have time to update the image so that it automatically expands.

1 Like

I use your custom image and everything is ok and With your help I can use my SD 128GB, thank you very much. I appreciate
In the so 0.4 if you enter on any emulators it says ā€œplease upload data over wifiā€ any ideas ? And again thanks

Those are not standalone emulators, but RetroArch cores and I think you have to download them once to use them.

I am going do that, thanks

Hey @Rebusmind, this looks interesting, can you give us some technical details about how you build this image ? Iā€™m trying to find out how the original images are build but am not getting answers (yet) on How are the GameShell OS image files generated?

1 Like

I havenā€™t built this image myself, I just modified the one provided here on the forums.

Hey @Rebusmind do you know where PCSX saves the savestate files?
Iā€™m struggling to find them and Iā€™d like to be able to make a backup of those. Thanks!

Sorry, dude, got it :slight_smile: Itā€™s on ~/apps/emulators/PSX/.pcsx/sstates/.

They can be found in /home/cpi/apps/emulators/PSX/.pcsx/sstates.

Over the last days Iā€™ve been trying to make my custom image auto-expandable, so that it expands the file system automatically when you boot the image for the first time. Sadly, the way guu did it for the v0.4 image doesnā€™t seem to work for v0.3. :frowning:
Iā€™ve tried it several times so far but it just doesnā€™t expand. If anyone wants to lend a hand to maybe get it to work, that would be very appreciated. If not, then Iā€™ll probably wait and not upload an update yet, as it would only contain the (excellent) global volume control.

1 Like