GameShell OS image files (v0.5)

Oops I meant 1.8.1 -> 1.8.4 . My finger slipped.
Mainly multi disk support.
The Mame digital analogue input support problem has been addressed re joystick mapping and key binding.
Also menu items are a lot more logically grouped. Eg synchronisation settings. It makes pinpointing where to optimise settings for better gameplay much easier.

Is there a step by step guide on how to upgrade?

Kinda here. But itā€™s a bit out of date. Youā€™ll need go do a few modifications.
The directory by default is now ~/.config/retroarch, so modify it to be that.
Also references to shaders not working now work with the Lima drivers, so adjust the parameters accordingly.
The gameshell canā€™t seem to manage -j4 number of jobs, so either reduce the jobs, or install a swap file.
Finally, you canā€™t necessarily just transfer your config file over. I tried once. It ran like rubbish.
Youā€™ll need to put together your config file from scratch. Donā€™t use any automated processes. They were probably intended for an older version.
I provided my config, because thatā€™s what I use and works as fast as I can get it to run.
Youā€™ll need to either rename your original Retroarch directory, or delete it in order to have the newly built one in its place. So do a recursive remove of it, under root.
I strongly recommend manually adjusting the repository in config to index - powered by h5ai v0.29.0 (https://larsjung.de/h5ai/) as mentioned above. Also manually define the directory of BIOS, shaders, logs etc so they point to logical locations. By default the Gameshell stores the cores for Retroarch in ~/apps/emulators. I prefer to keep them in ~/.config/retroarch/cores - and unfortunately that is what I have defined in my config. So if you use it, you will need to alter this line.

thanks
the action.config of gpsp is changed now

1 Like

Thanks @guu! Hopefully that will make having things all run out of the box much better!

I think a lot of the action.config files still use the old location, such as:
Mame
Nestopia
SFC9X
MGBA
GPSP
GGEAR
Coleco
LYNX
FUSE

I havenā€™t actually tested the stock performance of any of them besides GPSP which proved to not be runnable; since I normally manually define where to get my cores.

ChaiLove and NXEngine may also need to be redownloaded from the correct place.

well
if you had them updated/modified
you can send a pull request next time, :grinning: :grinning: :grinning:

haha I will have to edit them on on a stock 0.5 image - Iā€™m currently using my modified image, where Iā€™ve changed the ROM directory locations, and core locations heavily! But Iā€™ll definitely do that to save you some timeā€¦ when I remember! I should have some free time this Wednesday. :smiley:

1 Like

Please if you update the image change the version, donā€™t keep the same, else people are going to get confused on which one is which. Please update that version to 0.5.1 or something similar!

1 Like

Jumped into seeding the official 0.5 stock image, as the torrent was dead. Now with 24/7 gigabit seed.

1 Like

Did a clean flash of v0.5 and now I canā€™t properly set up mupen64. Prompted to set up this game automatically, then it instantly says ā€œInvaidā€ (not Invalid). Any idea what could be going on here?

Thanks!

Welcome to the forums.
Re: mupen running, It needs some dependencies. Unfortunately, mupen never really worked out of the box. The auto config doesnā€™t work, unless you have the dependencies already installed. If itā€™s a new installation, then chances are they wonā€™t be.
Itā€™s also not the most user friendly interface, re: setting things up. Youā€™ll need to do most of it manually. Think of it being included as an easter egg for testing purposes.

Try running this script;

wget -O /home/cpi/mupen.sh https://www.dropbox.com/s/uxerntgv8kpluzm/mupen.sh?dl=1 && chmod +x /home/cpi/mupen.sh && ./mupen.sh
sudo rm /home/cpi/mupen.sh
sudo rm -r /home/cpi/mupen/
wget -O -rf /home/cpi/apps/Menu/20_Retro\ Games/mupen64plus/action.config https://www.dropbox.com/s/932qp0yqjeta8ot/action.config?dl=1
mkdir /home/cpi/.config/mupen64plus/ && wget -O -rf /home/cpi/.config/mupen64plus/mupen64plus.cfg https://www.dropbox.com/s/9msh8d8js2tek9k/mupen64plus.cfg?dl=1

Youā€™ll need to SSH into your gameshell to run this. It runs a script to install the dependencies, and also installs mupen64plus to the /usr/local/bin directory. This should make it run faster than the /home/cpi/apps/emulators directory; or so some people say. I canā€™t confirm either way.
The action.config file will be overwritten with one to reflect the ā€œproperā€ location of mupen64plus, as per above, along with cleaning up the formatting a bit in general.
The mupen64plus.config file will be overwritten with one that Iā€™ve been tweaking over time to run nicely. It is configured to be used with the lightkey attachment.

If you have any more queries, probably would be better to either search up an existing thread, or starting a new one. Setting up mupen64plus is something that should be easy, but for some reason or another, people have difficulty. I also made a separate custom image with it pre installed, along with some other things.

1 Like

Hey, thank you so very much for the quick and detailed help. Following these instructions worked perfectly. Performance is pretty good (better than my RG350) though some shaders are a bit wonky.

New to all this linux and ssh stuff but Iā€™m slowly getting there. Thanks again and cheers!

1 Like

This instruction is no longer needed, as I fixed up the typo I made in my previous post.

Here for historical reasons

Whoops! I made a typo. There might be a stray action.config sitting in your retro games directory.
Redownload it to the right place with this:

And of course, remove the stray file with

rm /home/cpi/apps/Menu/20_Retro\ Games/action.config

May I know how to trigger the file system auto expansion manually?

This was taken from @hpcodecraftā€™s script:

#!/bin/bash

GREEN='\033[1;32m'
NC='\033[0m'

printf "${GREEN}Installing dependencies...${NC}\n"

# Install growpart util
export DEBIAN_FRONTEND=noninteractive
sudo apt-get -y install cloud-guest-utils

printf "${GREEN}Growing partition...${NC}\n"

# Grow root partition
sudo growpart /dev/mmcblk0 2

printf "${GREEN}Resizing file system...${NC}\n"

# Resize file system
sudo resize2fs /dev/mmcblk0p2

printf "${GREEN}Cleaning up...${NC}\n"

# Uninstall growpart package again
sudo apt-get -y remove cloud-guest-utils

printf "\n${GREEN}Done! Reload UI and Check Settings->Storage šŸ˜Š ${NC}\n\n"
1 Like

so after I enter the script for the dependencies do I copy paste this entire thing in this?

Aha, that was a one off quick amendment I had to make. Initially, I made a typo, saying to download a file to a location. I fixed up the initial post, downloading the file to the right place and deleting the file that got downloaded to the wrong place.

You shouldnā€™t need to run that second bit. :slight_smile:

so just run the script on top from the initial post?

Thatā€™s correct! Iā€™m assuming youā€™re running a stock 0.5 image? Also perhaps continue this in the thread you started. This is getting a bit off topic.

yes I am currently, I am waiting for the script to finish running again via the original post