Uconsole pre order!

That goes for the DevTerm too. Less practical than a laptop (or even a tablet for many things), can be a total pain to mess with, is a bit of an awkward size, battery life isn’t amazing, typing anything fast or for any real length of time is a pain.

But I love my uConsole and DevTerm and I’m pretty sure I’d buy whatever Clockwork come out with next.

Steam deck may have power and linux, but it is primarily a gaming handheld, doesn’t have an LTE module, nor a keyboard, and is far more chonky than a uconsole.

IMO very different use cases, uconsole being for general computing, tinkering and hardware modding, while the steam deck is for…playing games. Steam deck doesn’t interest me at all.

Yea, but the steam deck is a real computer.

2 Likes

Uh ok. So is a uconsole or devterm.

Also Kali is just a bloated silly distro that script kiddies like to use to show they can install an iso I guess, because running everything as root is really smart :laughing: . Every tool in there can be installed on literally every other linux distro. Wanna act like you are cool, at least install Arch manually like us adults.

And that setup looks 1. Ridiculous and 2. a Normal laptop would be more portable and convenient

3 Likes

mf cut him in half, doing justice to your name i see

2 Likes

:laughing:

TBH there is no hate to the steam deck, it is good hardware for exactly what it was designed for, playing games.

I just don’t get bashing the uconsole, which has a very different use case and is less than half the cost.

Just showed up - did I miss something? I do appreciate the comment on use case - that is the focus of all these linux machines - I have a beepy (I loathe the name) it’s basically a pi zero with a black berry keyboard in a 3d printed case -pocket sized it runs on rechargeable lithium battery - it is command line only - very limited but sans the gui it is fast enough for notes/ text based applications. Use case - still figuring it out but SSH into it yields enough screen space for running bash and python… plus there are email applications that work from a webpage and that means I can use those applications from a tablet or phone and have a very stable linux platform that fits in my pocket. I’m still waiting on the uConsole - Pretty much same comments for the UniHiker which is a bizarre platform in and of itself.

I have been going back and forth on that one. So far I am kinda on the no fence though, because I need some gui apps, and even if things get scaled for the screen, eink can be limiting. I get why they did it though for the power savings.

I am keeping an eye on it though.

Kali hasn’t run as root in years.

You are right on that one. I had to go look because I haven’t used Kali since it was called Backtrack. Too many outdated packages on it and I prefer my normal setups with the tools I want and use.

i suppose now you’re changing your tune? could we say you’re "backtrack"ing? HA

1 Like

:laughing:

Well played, you must be a dad as well!

1 Like

i hope not! (20 charactersb lah blah disqus)

Kali is a rolling distro now. It’s as up to date on packages as any linux distro.

LOL

Here is just one example: Kali says rfcat v2.0.0 is included:

And yet there was never a 2.0.0 release (tag only releases means not ready for production as can be seen by a search of the issue pages), only 1.9.7 and 2.0.1 which by the way a 2.0.0 would be…OUT OF DATE

Which still says nothing about skids that think they are hackers because they have a bunch of tools they have no idea how to use.

You could have left this, but instead you keep coming back. Nobody thinks you are cool for running Kali, its the opposite actually. Its fine as a bootable usb, but thats about it.

Now you can keep arguing about how cool you are as a “1337 hacker” or you could grow up and use a normal distro with the tools you actually use.

Either way, I am done with you

the unihicker site suggest either a visual language an upload , the other is web based python… but you can access by ssh and load more applications. there are python modules for screen widgets

Hmm. I keep going back and forth on it, because there are cli programs that could be used (discordo for discord) and I have a bunch of python scrapers for a variety of sites.

How is using python on the builtin screen? How is the battery life?

Dont think about Kali as the trash l337 h4xz0r skiddy distro, think of it as an educational distro for beginners. Almost everyone that uses Kali is a beginner and trying to learn the tools and concepts. If they catch on, these users will usually go off to a real distro and add the tools they actually need. Kali is a stepping stone to success and does an amazing job at filling its niche role as an easy to install and use linux distro loaded with tools for learning.

For example, Kali is commonly used used in education for beginner cybersecurity classes as a tool for exposing students to Linux, basic commandline tools and, and beginner cybersecurity concepts. These students use some of the more beginner friendly tools to do basic tasks like packet sniffing, network intrusion, and gaining access to older EOL operating systems using known exploits. Kali is an easy to use and easy to install distro that comes preloaded with most of the tools they need, and that is also a major part of its popularity.

Im 110% for people learning, no matter what tools they choose to use.

1 Like

the unihiker gives you access to one wire port and limited io but mounting etc are cumbersome. i have it mounted it on a piece of cardboard for now - something more permanent later - possible to make something portable or wearable but - really want to use that screen for a limited display makes the most sense.

**** blackarch cause you be cool like dat :sunglasses:

2 Likes