Is Clockwork Pi Dead?

@yong How many?

@javelinface yong told us to keep them for future goodies :slight_smile:

2 Likes

The cryptic posts started all the way back then! I should have read between the lines! Alas. I shan’t regret getting a second gameSH with my points. It’s sped up my productive “process” significantly to justify its existence.

Currently, CPI point 1:1 USD

3 Likes

This thing looks really cool, but I was hoping to a clamshell handheld, but I’m guessing that’s not coming for many more years (if it happens at all). That being said, It would be great to see a video demonstrating the new device. Not entirely sure what it can do.

I think here must have some misunderstand.
Sold out not means Dead, you can check new product DevTerm.

1. The new product is just DevTerm?
  2. Will GameShell follow DevTerm to update new modules and hardware?
  3. Does the new version of Clockwork Pi adapt to GameShell and bring new features?
6 Likes

It is nice to see talks about upgrading the CPU and the screen modules for Gameshell. However, after checking github, I cannot not notice the fact that only 2 people are keeping the source code up to date and Gameshell’s source code has stopped being updated since 2019-2020. It’s a shame and has made me sad, but it looks pretty much dead to me.

That does not mean I am not enjoying my gameshell. It still works. If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it, they say. Also if i were a dev, i would’ve helped out to keep the source updated but alas i am not. Kudos to the ones that have supported the project up until today.

2 Likes

There’s been a lot of development early this year, like the 0.5 release. I thought there was a lot of activity, at least earlier in the year.
I personally stopped adding anything more to my custom image (which I liased a lot with the devs to cross implement features) around March/April because it basically got to the point where it didn’t need anything more, but needed more testing.
Essentially, the gameshell became more of a community collaboration hack device. It’s still being developed by community members now!

Probably the most interesting recent developments is the Godot launcher.

One of my favourite advances is the minimal launcher here, built from the ground up.

One that I think deserves a lot more love and attention is the Arch Linux OS release. It’s super feature packed and quick; again built from the ground up.

And of course, I gotta plug my own custom OS, hoping to be the most up to date complete “vanilla” experience of the dev’s official release, including a lot of hand picked community enhancements pre installed. It also has all of the dev’a official updates applied, but is by no means a lightweight image. Basically an out of box zero setup experience. (Besides the flicker hot fix that you know about)

It’s very much alive. Just I think people are all waiting for the dev term, and any future hardware development of the gameshell mainboard. I guess you could almost say, the cpi3.1 board has reached maturity enough to be considered completely supported by its operating system.

7 Likes